April 27, 2024, 11:52:05 pm

Author Topic: What would you rather be?  (Read 1213 times)

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
What would you rather be?
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:58:02 pm »
Would you like to become a famous doctor in Human Rights and a philantrophist, designed by ONU to look after the peace on the world? And received with joy and happiness in every country you visit? The bad thing is, however, that you have got not much time to spend with your family, and your children frequently ask your wife: "Where is dad?" and she replies: "I don't know, my loves. Your father travels a lot and sometimes he cannot take us with him."
The children become unsecure about themselves and start to have more confidence with a pizza delivery guy called morphine, and even your wife is getting closer to him. Your parents also complain saying that you can bring peace in the world but you cannot help your own dad to repair that old 1975 car. You have already talked to your superiors about your problematics, but they cannot afford flights for your entire family (and also your wife has to take care of her job) so the situation is complicated. Your life is stuck in a troubleful axis.

Or you'd rather be a non very well paid history teacher. Let's say this is the job of your dreams. You, however, have 4 children. And they've got to assist to the university, which judging by your salary, it's not enough to cover the fees per annum. Not even for one of them. But they love you at any rate. They understand that you cannot afford such a high pay, but they are condemned to struggle to get universitary education. Your wife, on the other hand, couldn't understand and left you and the kids 14 years ago. You live in a rented apartment and you're not sure whether you will be able to even buy a house. You have already tried to look for a new job, but things look unsecure; you cannot risk it at any cost or you could be starving for an entire month.

What would you choose and why?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:53:14 pm by Vedder »
Informative Informative x 1 Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

BanJack

• Vice Underdog Trainee
  • Fanatic
  • Resist.. Your hands are the hurricane
    • View Profile
Re: What would you rather be?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:08:22 pm »
Interesting and emotional.

Let me say that my father's situation was like the history teacher, but he got a different work, and my mother didn't leave him, actually she is in the hospital now and struggling to stay alive for us, she got a severe kind of heart attacks.
As for their life before, it was poor one, even after they got me and my two brothers, still it was not under those decent conditions for a family with children to grow up. However, they did a lot to keep me and my brothers comfortable, I won't blame them for getting us without securing all the needs, they did more than enough.

Later on, Me and my brothers thought that we should be cooperative thus we started to work in very young ages, like the age of 9 or 10.
My two brothers, unfortunately, decided to stop learning at the sixth grade. I on the other hand, used to work in summer to secure what I need while I am learning in the other seasons.
When I passed to the 10th grade, I had to work and learn in the same time, I even used to study while I am in work because I didn't have time to do that in home.

As for me, I would rather find a work that I can be effective in, where I am able to influence others to go on. I like to have money, it gets you up when life don't, but what I really want is, to have money in a rate that forces me to keep working.
And as for my future children, I would like them to go through the same experience of mine, at least they can rely on themselves if anything happens to me or their mother.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:10:24 pm by BanJack »
Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 04:47:02 pm »
I don't really have any hard-core fantasies, I quite like where and who I am. If I had to choose something though, I'd probably want to be a teacher, purely for the fact I appreciate the ones that stood out and impacted my life.

Maybe a musician, but I tried that as an amateur, and was quick to realize that not even someone waaaay more talented than me would have a hard time trying to make it in Croatia today. The rock n' roll scene in my country is more or less dead, and the only musicians that make money are some shitty pop artists and turbo folk. And even the most popular ones aren't recognized beyond our borders.

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 05:17:29 pm »
Now that's emotional BanJack. I tried to make my post kinda funny, but reading you was enough to focus on a more serious part.

I think that every child should know the value of working. I don't know if 9 or 10 years old is good, but since a young age, everyone should know that nothing comes up easily. While I have had some short-periods of time working, I don't consider myself a person with 'work experience', - I've always put in front studying as my primary occupation, but even so, I think that I know the values of things.

I see everyday kids who have got everything and anything to study, but do not. In my country, we have 0 fees so almost everyone who can live in a capital can join the university. If you don't, you can have online university for half of the cost. Parents of my ex-classmates pay them the apartment, food, services, go-outs, and they can't sit the fucking ass to do something for their lives. They go from party on another party. Despising effort, time, money.

Hell man, I see those chances being thrown to the trash and I swear I can't understand what goes through their minds.

Hearing that you didn't want to abandon school recomforts me. I think it was a very wise decision and proves what you are made of. Specially considering that your brothers did it too. Don't waste your chances of studying.

As for the question that I made: there's obviously not a choice we'd like to pick. None of the paths are good. But, I believe that I'd go for a path where my children can have all they want. I would not be egoistic and pick the second option just to 'see them more'. I care much more about they making the life they want to have, rather than having time with them even if it destroys my heart.

My only goal, is to become the best father a person can be. I don't know how to do it, but I hope I can. I've always dreamed of having a daughter and call her Elizabeth haha.

I don't really have any hard-core fantasies, I quite like where and who I am. If I had to choose something though, I'd probably want to be a teacher, purely for the fact I appreciate the ones that stood out and impacted my life.

Maybe a musician, but I tried that as an amateur, and was quick to realize that not even someone waaaay more talented than me would have a hard time trying to make it in Croatia today. The rock n' roll scene in my country is more or less dead, and the only musicians that make money are some shitty pop artists and turbo folk. And even the most popular ones aren't recognized beyond our borders.
Copied.

I am an amateur guitarist, and I wouldn't want to see my life go by a different path from music or teaching military history, haha.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:37:04 pm by Vedder »
Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:31:40 pm »
Thank you for sharing BanJack.

Me myself have the privilege of growing up in a country where I believe everything is a lot easier. My parents have always been very good with money, earning more then needed, so money was never a real issue for day-to-day stuff. And while that's true, they also thought the most important lessions in life. Money doesn't come for nothing. You have to work hard, do something useful in your life. Be there for people, and they'd be there for you.

As for the question of this topic. I've grown up never having to worry about money or housing. So I'm going against your replies here, and pick the famous doctor. I'm not even sure if I ever want kids, but when I do, I want to make sure they can do good in world and not having to worry about their parents getting food on the table. I want them to be kids, and grow up slowly.

I also have to thank this community for making me interested in programming, making websites, managing servers. It's what I do for a living now, and I'm forever grateful.
Agree Agree x 2 Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 01:49:34 am »
It is a blessing to have a job, but even more if it's at what you love. You've got a very good one there Thijn.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 09:27:49 pm »
It is a blessing to have a job, but even more if it's at what you love. You've got a very good one there Thijn.
Reading stories like the one from BanJack make me very aware of that blessing and privilege of having a good job which I enjoy daily. It's sometimes easy to forget it isn't always that way in life.

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
What thing/hobbie has always interested you, but didn't try it?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 12:33:40 am »
Have you ever wanted to learn an instrument, play a sport or do a certain hobbie but you haven't ever tried? And why?

JuaN.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 11:02:19 am »
Skydiving/Parachuting, and well it would be fun with a couple of friends and stuff but nobody wants to accompany me for it yet.

They need to grow a pair asap.  8)

Hazard

• Crazy Man
  • RELAX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 06:17:38 pm »
I have a lot of hobbies.

Sometimes I think I can become a rapper, sometimes I think I can participate in ESports tournaments and often I think I should become a software engineer because I had interests in PC from my child-hood but my family want me to become a doctor, there are some reasons for it and they think that's the best for me.

Mom/Dad want to see me as a doctor because of specific reasons that I can't explain on this page.

BanJack

• Vice Underdog Trainee
  • Fanatic
  • Resist.. Your hands are the hurricane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 02:05:13 pm »
As this is an emotional topic, my mother passed away today morning. May her soul rest in peace.
انا لله وانا اليه راجعون
Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

Hazard

• Crazy Man
  • RELAX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 04:24:08 pm »
May Allah give her higher ranks in Jannat.

Ameen!

Inna lillah Wa Inna Aleh Rajoon!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:25:44 pm by Hazard »

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 05:19:11 pm »
I am very sorry for you, BanJack. May her soul rest in peace.

klein.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 09:39:10 pm »
Have you ever wanted to learn an instrument, play a sport or do a certain hobbie but you haven't ever tried? And why?
Soccer! ofc. i always used to play play football with my friends and cousins around the neighbourhood and we loved playing it. used to watch barclays premier league important fixtures and el classico was a must and what not. i wished and still i do to be one of those players and play in the holy stadium of Etihad. as i said above that i used to play, means i dont play anymore because there are a lot of reasons to say why not. (someone had bought the area where we used to play and turned it into a shopping center, after that we could not find a place, clean and close to us). The major part of it, well here in Pakistan, sports except cricket (at least in my opinion) are not promoted like in other countries. God even Iran is so good in this matter. i've a lot of friends who have great talent to show to the world of football, in fact in the whole pakistan. (i've seen ppl especially from baluchistan side are fond of fotball and they are so good in it) but pakistani goverment or i dont know what i should call those people who are responsible for this. they are not highlighting or promoting this. there could be football league in pakistan too, famous football players around the globe would come and see, if they had working only. but seems that they are yet busy to fill their own apetite. dont know when they will get filled. i play football with my cousins when i visit our village during the the holidays.

aside from Soccer. Well, to become an historian and to write my own book. i am truly inspired by Sir Tolkein's work and i hope i would make this possible someday myself (to influence other people).

thank you for this topic Vedder.
----------

As this is an emotional topic, my mother passed away today morning. May her soul rest in peace.
انا لله وانا اليه راجعون

انا لله وانا اليه راجعون

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 10:30:21 pm »
It's so good to see you again klein.

Soccer is another passion of mine too. You see, here in Argentina it is like impossible to avoid a conversation getting turned for some minutes about this sport. Maradona, Messi are just the top of the iceberg. You literally breath football around every corner in this country. I learned a lot about this sport, but nowadays it is not anymore one of my biggest interests.

I hope you can get some more promotion of this sport in your country. Do not stop playing a game if you are able to. It's scientifically verified that it's good for your health.

About your dreams of becoming historian and a writer; I have a "friend", we could say, who one day I had a conversation with. His story is much more passionate and sacrificed than any of what you've heard today. Due to that I believe we should respect his privacy, I cannot mention his name. But, in general terms, he was born like 70km away from where I live, and was part of a family with some the lowest incomes in the whole country. He lived in a room without even hot water.

But he knew something: the first moment he touched a dictionary, he completely loved it. He never wanted to be weak of words; and did not want to conform himself. Having worked since child (9), and later on in cafes, restaurants, hotels, etc. he finished High School, went to Israel with 0 knowledge of the language, LEARNED the language, WORKED on Israel and GRADUATED of a double-degree with honours at the same time. ALL of his own merit.

The story does not end here. He travelled all over the world and worked in every place he went to. But, in one of those journeys around England, something caught his attention: Oxford. Most concretely, Oxford University.

"I want to study here" he said. "You always have to yearn for the best. Never pigeon, life is very short. I wanted to continue studying and get into the best university in the world," he said.

He was accepted in Oxford, but the problem was economic. He was obsessed with the University, so he went to France, Japan to try to get some money and pay the tuition fees. Afortunately, after personally going and talking with the British Council, he was awarded a bursary. The result? He speaks eight languages. He finished five careers. He is now professor at some of the most prestigious universities on United Kingdom.

When I heard his story, I inmediately contacted him to have a conversation and make him some questions, this is one of them:

I have told many of my friends about your story. Many had not found out. I decided to ask some of them what their dreams were and try to strengthen them, saying well, look at you, yes, it can be done. Atleast a half part. But many of them are not sure about which is the best route to reach their dreams. I don't know how to answer, but what is the most important thing?

Octavio, I think it is a good question. I would personally tell you that I am a dreamer. I care about the message we give to the children that have dreams. One day I read a korean author that said: we've got to get pregnant of what we dream. Literally imagine a path. Imagine a way. If you believe that you can reach that way with your own merits, then you've got half of the path made. No sacrifice, no benefits. Work hard, get ready for a future and get to be strong to face difficulties. You will have them, but if you really love what you want to do, it's on you.

Good luck for the future klein. You have to love what you want.

By the way, I am proud that there's plenty of passionate people for history here as I am, on the other hand. Which period and part of history do you think it's more interesting? To me: Medical Wars, WWII and Cold War. Influence of Cold War in Southamerican political geography. Argentina's history from 1955-1983.

Don't thank me! It's you who are making this interesting.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:02:22 pm by Vedder »