March 29, 2024, 10:55:42 am

Author Topic: A Word to the Wise  (Read 1755 times)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
A Word to the Wise
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:49:27 pm »
I honestly hope that this is my illusion of some of the clan members but I have doubts I'm being fooled. Now this is to everyone but in particular the rookies and the trainees.

This was and SHOULD be a clan without bias. There is this ever on-going, push-pull, prejudiced dance where the level rises and falls. It happens in big mishaps, it particularly happens in application forms, it rarely but still happens in ideas for events, servers, so on. We have a owner/leader, co-leaders, full members......a ranking system. The leader enforces what he wants, co-leaders follow, enforces it to the full members, full members follow, and it goes down till it reaches the trainees, forming a united systematic clan of respect which the leader approves of. All of that is fine and dandy but where does the biased opinions come in now?

Example 1:
I post this very message but I am not eminent to the crowd per se. My replies to this message: "oh what you talking about? we not like that" or something.

The leader of the clan post the very same message. His replies to the message: "that some true shit. I see this a lot. This should change" and all that crap.

Why is it that the very same message gets 2 totally different replies? That should not be so. You have all right to agree or disagree on anyone's opinion, but not in a prejudice manner.

Example 2:
Some dude posts an application. The leader has acknowledged the individual and approves of him but only the leader knows him. Automatically everyone votes "yes, he must be okay"

Another dude posts an application. One weaker figure knows and recommends him, like a trainee or rookie, even a full member (but is not particularly active). The leader, co-leader, some head of position is away to make their approval of him or they don't know him. His application gets the responses: "cant vote, don't know you well", "get to know more people", "waiting on the leader has to say"

Hypocritical behavior....why vote yes to someone you don't know and then no to another you don't know just because some head didn't approve of him? Everyone that is here, should have the competence by now to assess a person by themselves without ever waiting on the opinion of a head for your own head to start working. That's not a united clan. That's a clan with overworked officials and blind-minded, prejudice followers.

Cease and Desist.

I call no names, it would defeat my purpose of competence. Assess yourselves and curb this behavior. It is not welcomed here. You are free to do whatever you want, however you want within virtuous reasons.
Biased reasons ain't one of them.

A word to the wise is sufficient
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: A Word to the Wise
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:20:53 pm »
Gangsta, this crap has been around for ages. I don't get people, does someone really think he's gonna get credit if they asskiss a more highly ranked person?
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »
i know but its gotten to a point where it needs to be addressed again. too much bullshit building up slowly

MaDKilleR

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
    • MaDKiLLeR's Site
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Let me explain something as i see one my quotes too in this topic.

I've been voting clearly "no" for those who i don't know, that's another thing that majority changes their vote just because of the leader's vote. I've never appreciated this and never changed my opinion about the applicant too however, i don't think we should actually vote "yes" for those whom you haven't even met. Let me make this clear, I've never changed my vote for someone since i've been promoted to full member. I remember i did that for some applicants but after some of the recent departures and their applications for other clans have actually forced me to think before posting my vote, my opinion.

I'm not forcing anyone to vote positively or negatively for someone without knowing him. Everyone is free here but i strongly believe that we've to leave this now.

- [VU]MaDKiLLeR

Skirmant

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Ignorance is bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
TL;DR version:

There is a big difference between leader's opinions, and leader's orders.
You shouldn't mindlessly follow the opinions of anyone. Make up your own mind.

"C++ is a horrible language" - Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux

<SLC> nope. changed my mind. squirrel still sux dix
<SLC> it's just a piece of sh!t
* SLC has quit (Connection closed)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:02 pm »

I've been voting clearly "no" for those who i don't know, that's another thing that majority changes their vote just because of the leader's vote. I've never appreciated this and never changed my opinion about the applicant too however, i don't think we should actually vote "yes" for those whom you haven't even met. Let me make this clear, I've never changed my vote for someone since i've been promoted to full member. I remember i did that for some applicants but after some of the recent departures and their applications for other clans have actually forced me to think before posting my vote, my opinion.

I'm not forcing anyone to vote positively or negatively for someone without knowing him. Everyone is free here but i strongly believe that we've to leave this now.

This isn't a "im calling your name for your shit" topic Madkiller, all scenarios and quotes were randomly thought up of so your quote is coincidence. And don't get it the wrong way as well, you can change your vote if you want, just not in a biased way. And there's a broader picture than just votes. Even leaders can say shit, hell even what I'm saying could be utter shit. Its just this message im broadcasting.

You shouldn't mindlessly follow the opinions of anyone

MaDKilleR

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
    • MaDKiLLeR's Site
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:24 pm »

This isn't a "im calling your name for your shit" topic Madkiller, all scenarios and quotes were randomly thought up of so your quote is coincidence. And don't get it the wrong way as well, you can change your vote if you want, just not in a biased way. And there's a broader picture than just votes. Even leaders can say shit, hell even what I'm saying could be utter shit. Its just this message im broadcasting.

You shouldn't mindlessly follow the opinions of anyone
No Gangsta, i don't blame you. You're actually right in this topic and i do agree with you  :thumbsup:

- [VU]MaDKiLLeR

Deso

• Vice Underdogs (Inactive)
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:09:07 pm »
A year or more ago, when I was constantly applying for VU, I noticed that most of the people here would follow another person's vote. I totally hated that because the old dogs back then knew me as a bad person, but the fresher people knew me as a nice person. But since the old dogs are more "popular" and when they voted "No", the others would vote "No" too.     -.- 

Then I asked Knucis about it and what he replied was that this is called "clan trust" or something. lol

I still think that this is bullshit. Everyone has to make their own vote.

Example:

Someone makes an application. You don't know the player but someone before you votes "No" or "Yes". Well, get off the damn forum, go ingame and meet him, for fuck sake.     -____-
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:11:23 pm by LaS3r »

WiLsOn

• Crazy Man
  • First in battle last in retreat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:36:06 pm »

Someone makes an application. You don't know the player but someone before you votes "No" or "Yes". Well, get off the damn forum, go ingame and meet him, for fuck sake.     -____-
too lazy.  ::)

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:25 pm »
A year or more ago, when I was constantly applying for VU, I noticed that most of the people here would follow another person's vote. I totally hated that because the old dogs back then knew me as a bad person, but the fresher people knew me as a nice person. But since the old dogs are more "popular" and when they voted "No", the others would vote "No" too.     -.- 

Then I asked Knucis about it and what he replied was that this is called "clan trust" or something. lol

Example:

Actually, a year ago I voted no on your apps since you were still an asshole :D

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Knucis

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »

Well of course they would follow another person's vote. Who wouldn't if that other person clearly stated reasons not to accept you :).

And I don't recall ever saying anything about clan trust?

Even though I am not part of the clan, I can agree with what GangstaRas is pointing out. Although in my case, when I didn't know the person I wouldn't even mind voting.

Shadow

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
I hope people don't start posting " I didn't do that! " because it will look foolish, GangstaRas makes a good point there, if you don't know about the applicant, don't involve, that's it.

Following someone else's opinions is a behaviour spread amongst animals, if someone wants to imitate animal behaviour, I guess that 'someone' must take a ride to nearest hospital.
Cannot rate own posts

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:01:06 pm »
Tbh, this thing is why I got accepted to VU, lol.

aXXo

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:39 pm »
This discussion does not limit to this clan or community. It is more like human nature.
Cant blame anyone for being human...