March 29, 2024, 02:28:09 am

Author Topic: Should we separate the artist in two: music / personal life?  (Read 752 times)

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
Should we separate the artist in two: music / personal life?
« on: September 03, 2020, 07:04:50 am »
I and some friends were having a nice night yesterday until I turned on my monitors and played some Michael Jackson songs.

Then, one of the guys present complaint.

How can you possibly listen to that children rapist motherfucker! How is it possible that you keep giving them money after he and his family were involucrated on kids rape!

And this has happened to me and friends as well, with other artists, specially sexists and idiots. Clear examples are Pappo and Kanye West.

Should we give importance to the artist's private thoughts and political ideas, manners and attitudes before we listen to any of their songs?

Or is it some bullshit settled by people trying to be extra with some moral* attitude? And we shouldn't care about the artists lifes and just listen to their music.

*: supposing that they know what it means
Funny Funny x 1 Late Late x 1 Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Should we separate the artist in two: music / personal life?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:17:40 am »
Music is music, very simple
Agree Agree x 3 Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

napoleon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:07:05 am »
it is a stupid move to look at the his/her past or political view of the singer while listening to his/her music. you will not marry a person who sings music, you will just listen to the music he/she makes. Don't get too attached to everything, Get away from people who think like that  :)

morphine

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:31:21 am »
nah I’ll pass discussing this
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:00:05 am by morphine »
Funny Funny x 2 (list)

Eazym4

• Fanatic
  • She belongs to the streets - Sir Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 01:21:46 pm »
Lol I personally domt give a fuck about the artist if I like it its in my playlist

habla

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 04:16:18 pm »
Most people are a real bummer, so do I care if famous person has had a dog in the freezer / likes to eat poop, heck yeah I do!

But that in no way changes my opinion on their work, hollywood is as dirty as my kid's diaper, and let me tell yous it ain't a smell of roses heh..

The best part is when a rockstar tells me how I should live and conduct myself, but doesn't beat eating poop.

Music is music until it holds a certain value like.. money
Agree Agree x 2 (list)

son_of_habla VCMP sucks
habla ey, that's how I met your mother

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 03:46:39 am »
I think the most uncomfortable example of this is Michael Jackson. He was definitely an abusive paedophile rapist (anyone who thinks otherwise is either deluded or ignorant), and now listening to some of his best songs, it's hard because they can quite easily be intepreted as being about fucking kids.

Take one of his most famous songs, PYT. Here are some lyrics:

Code: [Select]
I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty young thing
You need some loving (T.L.C.)
Tender love and care
And I'll take you there, yes, I will, yes, I will
I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty young thing
You need some loving (T.L.C.)
Tender love and care
And I'll take you there
Yes, I will, hee-eh

Pretty young thing, UH!
You make me sing, ha, ha, ha
Pretty young thing, UH!
You make me sing, ha, ha, ha

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough:

Code: [Select]
Keep on, with the force don't stop
Don't stop 'til you get enough

Touch me and I feel on fire
Ain't nothin' like a love desire (ooh)
I'm melting (I'm melting) like hot candle wax
Sensation (ah sensation) lovely where we're at (ooh)
So let love take us through the hours
I won't be complainin' (ooo)
'Cause this is love power (ooh)

It's so on the nose. Same with Rock With You and a bunch of others.

I honestly don't know how to feel about separating art from artist in this case. Do I still play these tunes when I DJ? Yup. Do I feel uncomfortable about it? Yup.

Disagree Disagree x 3 Useful Useful x 1 (list)

Writer of excessively long posts

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 01:23:28 am »
Well music always goes to shit when you try to interpret it through the eyes of the artist.. They make music and allow you as an individual to have your very own interpretations and feelings for a song, that's the beauty of it. Could the song have been a pedo manifesto for MJ? Maybe. Is it a nice love song to me? Definitely.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Klaus

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • Argonath RPG
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 04:52:29 pm »
I have to disagree with you there, Charley. As Ferrari said, every song can be interpreted differently. Take The Police's Every Breath You Take for example, some people say the lyrics sound as if it's a creepy stalker who can't get over their ex, yet the song is actually (from the writers perspective) about dealing with an unfaithful spouse. So... you're just guessing about MJ's songs. Those lyrics could be about any sex, any age...

About MJ, I like his songs and despite his many issues it doesn't change the fact that the songs are great. He had a great voice, great dancing moves, etc. and you can't argue that. Forget about his own private life and just enjoy the music, you're not supporting child molestation by listening to Michael Jackson songs.
Agree Agree x 2 (list)