login
April 27, 2024, 10:51:13 pm

Author Topic: Petition to allow game-improving mods. ( mod support )  (Read 1124 times)

GoRcEE

• Crazy Man
  • Paid my dues
    • View Profile
Re: Petition to allow game-improving mods. ( mod support )
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 03:01:28 pm »
it's about time VCMP will die.

Every year or every month someone comes here and says the same word since years but its still alive.

You call it alive? Okayy
Agree Agree x 1 Pwnt Pwnt x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 08:38:34 pm »
The good suffer due to the bad apples, an unfortunate reality of this mod.

I get where you're coming from and think you do have a point, but opening the floodgates carelessly isn't the answer. So, what can really be done?

UID checks are almost worthless now, how to stop a ban evader? Some linkage of the in-game account to another platform we can manage with a bit more freedom, forums accounts. It was a private suggestion, and if I'm recalling correctly only RTV aggressively implemented it to control hackers coming in. Something like that however, wasn't done very intuitively. It's a system that sacrifices some compliancy of the newcomers, they'll easily get confused and lost and that's not what you want. How to circumvent this? Instead of having persons manually flying out of game to copy this link from chat that they don't even know how to potentially, setup the GUI to be able to make a forum account right then and there in-game, your forum, your server, simple 1-2-3 I'd think.

With the burden of dealing with hackers taken away from VC:MP's capabilities itself, you would have the freedom to keep them out a lot easier I would presume. More forum attacks now, yes, but I'd assume the freedom to prevent damage against such is more than that VC:MP has to offer in preventing the same correct?

So that's keeping them out.....permabans are gonna be real fun then  8). Jokes aside, next comes the actual detection. From what I'm told, hackers are exploiting the fact that VC:MP developers can't legally dig too far into source code to create a PunkBuster of sorts then to easily end this topic of conversation. Something of that sort if it makes sense. Either way, what can you do? Just keep being creative with how to detect certain things. Every single hack has an endpoint, and that endpoint is what action the player carries out, so you just have to watch that to the best of the script's ability.

Best case scenario, servers implement this forum account integration to rid ban evaders and detection systems are robust enough to bust hackers, congratulations the server overtime becomes "hacker-free" more or less, now you actually need to focus on making more creative servers. Giving that ASI loading capability back to the players is still not the best move, but the implementations of some well needed features was a good start. Problem is developers aren't active enough to carry it through.

There are some other little things that I've suggested to be implemented like the fact that the scripts can't load objects with any form of physics applied to them, physics I want to use to create destructive environments and make the experience in-game that much more unique and immersive. It's something readily available to creatively do right now, just not implemented yet. That aside, other things can be done with what we have now to appease to the other genres of games possible through this mod, but widespread knowledge is needed as the knowledgeable may not be interested in your fresh ideas. So the servers we call boring, can we actually make one?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:04:47 pm by GangstaRas »
Agree Agree x 2 Informative Informative x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

klein.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 08:59:43 pm »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:18:57 pm by klein. »
Funny Funny x 11 Winner Winner x 1 (list)