login
March 28, 2024, 11:03:41 am

Author Topic: VCMP Laggerz  (Read 2304 times)

aXXo

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
VCMP Laggerz
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:30:59 am »
One of the hottest discussions.
Lets talk about laggers!  ;D

Heres my ping theory extracted from nowhere.

What is Ping?
Ping is the amount of time, in milliseconds, which a small packet of data takes to make a round trip.
that is, from your machine, to the server, and then back to your machine.

So, if my ping is 500...it takes me 0.5 seconds delay to see what is actually going on on the server.

Also, if you are fighting a player with 1000 ping, it means:
Everything he does, will be seen by you with 1 second delay.

so lets consider this:

Let t be the server time(server time means 0 second delay)
Let 2 noobs be fighting.

A has ping 500
B has ping 1000

at time, t=0
A shoots a Stubby bullet.

This information takes 0.5 seconds to travel to the server.
The information travels to B's PC in 1 second more.

So, after 1.5 seconds from t=0, B sees that A shot a bullet.

Suppose, B is ultra noob and was standing exactly where A shot bullet.
at t=1.5, he gets hit.

This information takes 1 seconds to reach the server.
The server relays   the-B-got-hit   information to A, which took 0.5 seconds.

So, if we take the time reference according to A, it appears like this:
A shot a bullet.
After 3 seconds B falls
A is like wtf???

So if you understood this, pls tell me...
why the fuck everyone calls laggers noobs??  ;)
coz, according to this laggers have a greater disadvantage.
coz for a lagger, everyone else is a lagger.....

This theory could be entirely wrong, havent confirmed it.  ;)
Informative Informative x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Sp4zlord

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: VCMP Laggerz
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:33:34 am »
man i totally agree to this.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

CoLa_z0r

• Crazy Man
  • Agape z0r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:12:54 am »
That's what I was trying to tell Shanto when his big fat nose was still bobbing around the VC:MP waters.

>VC:MP Since 2007.
>Founder & Leader of DU (2008~).
>Highest Spree: 90 (@LW) | Highest Score: 1100 Kills (@SvM), 341 Kills (@LW).

StriKe

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:23:02 am »
That's what I was trying to tell Shanto when his big fat nose was still bobbing around the VC:MP waters.
LOL
Cannot rate own posts

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »
LOL

with this theory it takes only 0.035 secs from my computer to the server and back to my computer again?? Wow thats fast ;D

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 12:01:26 am »
LOL

with this theory it takes only 0.035 secs from my computer to the server and back to my computer again?? Wow thats fast ;D
>:( yea? well f*** u i take 0.1 lol :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:52:43 am by GangstaRas »

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:48:34 pm »
hehe, Ur jealous? :D :P

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

ULK.HeAD

• Fanatic
  • the most interesting man in VCMP
    • View Profile
    • ULK Gang
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:52 pm »
heh I notice something missing from your description of lag/ping, ripped right from the ULK handbook, I'll talk a little about FPS (frames per second) lag.

FPS lag, for some reason is much more prevalent in VCMP than MTAVC. probably because its all south america, 3rd world and brazil instead of US, euro and canada, I imagine PC hardware has taken some steps back.

FPS lag effects the game in strange ways, both before and after a packet(ping) is sent or recieved.

since most of the tips I can give are trade secrets, I'll just give you a base example, and you all should be able to get the concept from there.

ok then, player A, and player B.

player A has normal game, 30 fps, frame limiter on. to help illustrate the point, lets just say both players have the same exact ping time and distance to the server, 200ms. meanwhile, player B has a 22 fps chop game, it still runs smooth without heavy freezes, just chops along at 22fps.

B is standing still, admiring the scenery. A runs up to him, and plants a stubby shot right in his face, and jumps aside. B takes NO DAMAGE, NO HIT. A does it again, over and over as B just stand there looking at him, shoot and jump, point blank, no damage? what the fuck?

problem: A shoots, on B's screen, no shot is even fired.

solution: A shoots, and instead of jumping so fast, A "sticks" the shot, by holding the fire button and waiting a bit longer to jump away

why this works: A shoots, on B's screen, no shot is even fired, because B's shot animations play slower than A's, at a ratio of 11 to 15. simply put, A's jump animation breaks his shot animation on B's screen before it finishes, because the jump is sync'd before the anim plays through into a shot firing. jumping will break almost any animation in VC, and it is synced as such, and this is the key idea behind FPS laggers bad sync issues.

now, this is the most simple example I can provide for you, some situations are not so cut and dry, and the sync is effected before and after packets are sent, and even further manipulated by various in-game variables. this is simply a teaching example.

Sp4zlord

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:09 am »
u are also right there..... focking poverty pcs

whatabout if the fps is higher than 30?

ULK.HeAD

• Fanatic
  • the most interesting man in VCMP
    • View Profile
    • ULK Gang
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:46:05 pm »
I'm not too sure how the sync would come into play with someone playing FL off.

when we tested it out, first thing happened to me was I couldn't switch weapons too well anymore, then when I fought other players, it seemed I couldn't hit them as easily as having FL on, so I dropped the whole FL thing without putting much more testing into it, especially after talking to other VCMP players about it...

that said, there are players around who I am pretty sure play with FL off, and they seem to have no problem hitting anyone. from a technical standpoint, I figure it depends on a combination of 2 things:

1. FL off is fighting normal 30fps like a 30fps player would fight a lower 23fps player... "sticking" shots and compensating for the difference, all the while using the faster animations and smoother motion to have an easier game.

2. FL off is running around animating himself at 100fps or whatever, and what you see him do depends entirely upon the sync/timing coded into VCMP, as well as latency(ping/distance) ofc

in MTAVC, they eventually decided that jumping to break shot animations early was glitching too, so they forced the stubby animation to complete before allowing anything else. VCMP has far less restriction upon animation breakouts, and I believe the only limit is on fast switching out of firing animations? that alone would have me say the FL off is a very minor advantage if any. one definate problem with that idea, is one must "stick" a shot to hit certain FPS laggers, that alone shows you one area where animation speed effects gameplay. another, and one I am sure of but is un-tested; there is some kind of restriction on entering a firing animation or raising your weapon to fire, that FL off probably speeds up greatly. this would allow certain players to fire first/faster than others.