login
May 03, 2024, 11:05:05 am

Author Topic: Retiring  (Read 5630 times)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Retiring
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »
I've decided to retire from being the VU leader and in general from the VC:MP community. I still want to remain on the member list, as I will be ingame from time to time, but it will be only very occasionally.

There are a few reasons why. My position here takes a lot of effort and time, I've put a huge amount of work in here and I'm glad to see that many people have been able to enjoy its products. I don't really have that time anymore though, as university is starting to take up more and more of it. I want to pass the responsibility on to Veteran and the rest of the clan.

I could write an essay about the reasons why I'm not very fond of this community anymore, but it would serve no purpose. All I'll say is that I'm sick of all the egos and arrogance; and of all the people who are willing to criticise and bad mouth people's hard work, when they are willing to do none themselves.

Just one record I want to set straight: I never told anyone not to play XE. Not once did I tell anybody, in VU or not, not to play on the server that I wrote. I still consider that server more mine and the community's than anyone elses, so if people want to play on it then great! I want them to enjoy my script, even if those who are now in possession of it are complete fuckheads. For all those that criticise my work at XE, I'd like you just to think about the fact that there would be no XE if it weren't for me, and every time you play on it, every single command you use, you wouldn't be able to do it if it weren't for me :)

Before I left I wanted to give the community something again, so I wrote a new server called Wildstyle TDM. It is under the management of Cola, Newk and Veteran. Castagna will be doing script updates and Thijn will be helping out too (he's done a great job on a new forum).

I must stress, very strongly, that it is to be a community server. Not a VU server, not an MK server, not a DU server, but one run by and for everyone. I hope it's a success, but if it isn't then it's not the end of the world. They have the script and will launch it as, when and how they see fit. I really hope everyone can make it a great server that's friendly to newbies, equal in its treatment of players and a happy place to be.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who helped with VU, its event and whatever else. There are too many people to name but really, you guys make this community better.

See y'all around and good luck!

If you wanna stay in contact here's my email, as I won't be hanging around the forums much if at all after next week: charleyutton@yahoo.co.uk

P.S. I'm sorry for doing this after my period of summer inactivity, I just wanted to make the server before I did and I didn't get the chance to before summer started.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Writer of excessively long posts

kyber7

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:10:55 pm »
 :( We'll miss you, Charley. BROFIST!
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

"i meat Charley and he teaches me to be a strong fighter and thats no joke"

~ Summer, 2010
  "The Beginning"

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »
Charley? Are you serious? What the bloody hell should we do without you?

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Inferno

• Crazy Man
  • Frontline-battles! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:11 pm »
I just dont believe this.Still doubting.

Foxtrot

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »
Good luck Charley.

Shadow

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »
You do not have to retire because you are not active on VC:MP.

Look at me, I haven't played with VU tag for, like, weeks ( except [VU]Chados on MDR with habla, typemistake :) )

You just have to keep cool and keep in-touch with members and it'll be fine, I am so busy with school but I still find time to chat around.

If you consider this is the right thing to do, I have nothing to say, just good luck in your both real life and in-game life. However, I think you make a mistake.

It's normal to have inactivity, as we grow up, we are put under more pressure, and even a little mistake can be fatal for our jobs / etc...

But this is all about fun! So you do not really have to take it very very serious, even if managing a clan is well, hard.

Look around, you have Veteran, Knucis, Habla, even Zeke ( more or less, idk ) !

Veteran is fit for the job, he takes clan management pretty good, and he handles it ! So do not worry, you have excellent people in this clan !

Just keep cool, your okay..

And even if you leave, you will still be known as the founder of this awesome clan named "Vice Underdogs" !

All my respect,
Shadow.
Cannot rate own posts

CoLa_z0r

• Crazy Man
  • Agape z0r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:09:03 pm »
You do not have to retire because you are not active on VC:MP.

Look at me, I haven't played with VU tag for, like, weeks ( except [VU]Chados on MDR with habla, typemistake :) )

You just have to keep cool and keep in-touch with members and it'll be fine, I am so busy with school but I still find time to chat around.

If you consider this is the right thing to do, I have nothing to say, just good luck in your both real life and in-game life. However, I think you make a mistake.

It's normal to have inactivity, as we grow up, we are put under more pressure, and even a little mistake can be fatal for our jobs / etc...

But this is all about fun! So you do not really have to take it very very serious, even if managing a clan is well, hard.

Look around, you have Veteran, Knucis, Habla, even Zeke ( more or less, idk ) !

Veteran is fit for the job, he takes clan management pretty good, and he handles it ! So do not worry, you have excellent people in this clan !

Just keep cool, your okay..

And even if you leave, you will still be known as the founder of this awesome clan named "Vice Underdogs" !

All my respect,
Shadow.
This.

Good luck with your life mang. ;)

>VC:MP Since 2007.
>Founder & Leader of DU (2008~).
>Highest Spree: 90 (@LW) | Highest Score: 1100 Kills (@SvM), 341 Kills (@LW).

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »
Very very sad to see you go. One of my best friends is leaving..
I hope we keep in contact, and hopefully see you popping up sometime.
Cya Charley, Good luck with your studies. And future things.

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

7echn0

• Vice Underdogs (Inactive)
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »
Can't wait for the server to go online and try it out.
Take care with life Charley. :)

habla

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »
I definitely hope to see you around. Truly a 'true friend', if there exists such a term in online gaming.

Best of luck mate :) and I know, the new server's gonna kick ass

Cya

son_of_habla VCMP sucks
habla ey, that's how I met your mother

Skirmant

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Ignorance is bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 06:44:31 pm »
For all those that criticise my work at XE, I'd like you just to think about the fact that there would be no XE if it weren't for me, and every time you play on it, every single command you use, you wouldn't be able to do it if it weren't for me :)

Erm.. I'm pretty sure they would just use the old mIRC script. HHHHH

Farewell and good luck Charley. I hope you solve your problems and return to your leader duties once more :)

"C++ is a horrible language" - Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux

<SLC> nope. changed my mind. squirrel still sux dix
<SLC> it's just a piece of sh!t
* SLC has quit (Connection closed)

Eazy

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:54:20 pm »
However,you will back ;)

XGamer

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:43 pm »
Didn't expect this, i'm really sad, good luck in your future Charley, i hope everything will be alright for you, and i want to see you in-game in future.

Good luck.  :)

Playing VC:MP since September 2008.

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:33 pm »
For all those that criticise my work at XE, I'd like you just to think about the fact that there would be no XE if it weren't for me, and every time you play on it, every single command you use, you wouldn't be able to do it if it weren't for me :)

Erm.. I'm pretty sure they would just use the old mIRC script. HHHHH

You mean erm... the broken one? HHHHH

I wish it were as easy as that Shadow but it ain't. Yeah Veteran and I have been inactive for the last couple of months and how much has the clan grown? Hardly at all. Also, yeah, I was inactive for a couple of months but before that I spent years of very intense activity in order to help grow the clan into what it is today. Yes, as a clan member, it is possible to be sporadically active. As a leader, it just ain't possible. Also, I always said that I would never let a clan of mine have inactive leadership, ever since I left MK in 2008.

Luckily Veteran is going to be active this year, and there are a couple of people in the memberlist who should they return to activity would make great co-leaders.

But this is all about fun!

You're right, absolutely right. I rarely have fun here and even when I do it ain't nearly as good as the shit I get up to in real life. I much prefer being around real, friendly people instead of a bunch of internet tough guy geeks and kids who can barely speak my language. Don't get me wrong, I ain't saying you're all like that, but there are many people in this community who do fit that description.

Thanks for the nice words, I'll be sure to stay in contact with some of you.

Writer of excessively long posts

NewK

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:17 pm »
It's sad to see you go, but I actually believe you will be back one day. Over the years I've played this mod there has been alot of people that "left", but they always end up coming back, that being a couple of weeks later or even years. These last few months proved that as a couple of "old" players came back one by one, the DnA folks are a good example of that. About the current community, I'll have to admit that it really isn't good at all, I've been playing alot of different multiplayer games over these last few months and interacting with the community on those games and it put me in perspective to this community, and how bad it can be. There's a constant communication gap almost everywhere you go, not to talk about other stuff; However I think that the worst and the best thing about VCMP is its community. Being in a small community like this one is good in a way that everyone pretty much knows eachother, it's nice to be in a server with tons of people and knowing all of them, or most of them anyway, but oh well, good luck anyway in whatever you decide to do, we'll be waiting for when you return.