login
May 11, 2024, 10:43:19 pm

Author Topic: Freelancing?  (Read 669 times)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
Freelancing?
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:02:49 am »
I was just learning C++ so that my transition into scripting would be an easier one on me then I started looking into the possibilities of freelance work to earn some cash, serious cash at that as my currency is weak. Now from any perspective, whether programming, graphic designs, 3D modelling if some of you go that far, has anyone ever tried it out?
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Freelancing?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:15 am »
The company I work at right now had a pretty good amount of freelancers, but when I was hired they stopped using them.
So I guess it's possible, but hard to find a good company. I've not had any experience with freelancing itself, but I imagine it takes a lot of effort to get yourself "hired". And when the job is done, you're starting from zero again.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:09:46 pm »
If I were running a company I probably wouldn't use the freelancers either. But I was looking at some freelancer sites like elance.com and odesk.com (although this one seems more unprofessional with their approaches). People from around the world seem to be earning a lot granted that they score the job from a particular client offering. I'm far from any professional level in any of the skills I mentioned. Only maybe graphic design I have a chance at the moment but the reason it caught my eye because all of these are hobbies of mine and the idea seems to be favourable for part time work on my skills. But yeah the hiring stage is gonna be hell

OathBreaker

• Fanatic
  • Breaking Oaths is just what I do :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:29:55 am »
I can't do freelancing since my age isn't enough but my uncle does it regularly on Freelancer.com, My father also does it on elance, They both get fine money from this and once my Father Got 3000$ From a Big Project Too So I'd recommend, just be careful for scams since my uncle once got scammed by 140$ ( Worth 14000 Rs ) because of the client.

Quote from: Byakuya Kuchiki
Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »
To be honest, I wouldn't want to freelance for someone who you never met in person.

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:54:47 am »
I think the guys that are hiring have it harder than the guys working. I cant see myself ever even considering to be on the hiring end