March 28, 2024, 09:26:04 am

Author Topic: The Lag Hour  (Read 1576 times)

PunkNoodle

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
The Lag Hour
« on: December 09, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »
I made this suggestion last year but I wasn't taken seriously, so I'll try again this year:

I propose to legitimate an hour where both fps and ping limits are removed, or loosened, in order to allow that chunk of older PCs' users to get a chance to play in the event. In my opinion it should be an hour where having laggers joining won't affect the game balance and the score too much, thus I propose it to be exactly the last hour of the event where usually the fate is already drawn.
Agree Agree x 1 Disagree Disagree x 4 Useful Useful x 1 Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Thomas

• Crazy Man
  • Death awaits you always
    • View Profile
Re: The Lag Hour
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:25:39 am »
Reminds me of my Pentium Dual Core 3.00 GHz lmao.
But since we are taking everyone on their benchmark results, poor PCs will not make it either ways.

Upto GangstaRas to decide.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Vice War 8 Developer
Vice War 8 Web Master
Playing VC-MP Since 2009
Representing Miami Killers.
T4iVi3R | HeisenBerg | Thomas | Tom4S

GoRcEE

• Crazy Man
  • Paid my dues
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:26:20 am »
Maybe in the middle of the war?
Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

krystianoo

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »
Maybe in the middle of the war?

No

thus I propose it to be exactly the last hour of the event where usually the fate is already drawn.

:thumbsup:
Agree Agree x 3 (list)

Zatch

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Night City
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:37 pm »
ok, seems interesting if it's just for a moment. It will be a headache for some people lmao
Funny Funny x 1 (list)

Ryne

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Winning feels better when you take a little damage
    • View Profile
    • VUmania
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:56:55 am »
Last hour depending upon if fate is already drawn. Pushing this update prior to VW could ruin the fun. I am not opposing this suggestion but it should be implemented manually in-game during VW day considering conditions of both sides.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:58:28 am by Ryne »
Agree Agree x 1 Useful Useful x 1 (list)

Thomas

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 12:17:46 pm »
well an extra 2-3 hours can be given in addition to 24-hour match though if stats are saved by then and they are not effected what so ever after the interval.

Vice War 8 Developer
Vice War 8 Web Master
Playing VC-MP Since 2009

Klaus

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • Argonath RPG
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:44:48 pm »
Definite no from me. This event is meant to be a competitive event, not some sandbox mess around.
Agree Agree x 2 Funny Funny x 2 (list)

PunkNoodle

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 01:50:10 am »
Definite no from me. This event is meant to be a competitive event, not some sandbox mess around.
Competitive where people are constantly getting kicked? Competitive with 300ms ping limit? Competitive where the whole community (80% laggers) is playing? Come on man give me a break. Competitive it's supposed to be an event where only a small of elite of players are playing, the cream of the cream, not this melting pot of fps and ping exploiters...
Agree Agree x 2 (list)

Thomas

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:13:52 am »
Stats can be revoked, and server can be open up for public for addition of 2-3 hours so that in next edition of vice war, more people would come. kind of advertising but yeah would be fun.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Vice War 8 Developer
Vice War 8 Web Master
Playing VC-MP Since 2009

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 02:22:12 am »
I am supporting Noodle on this. The fact is, almost 50% of the guys who play this game do it because they can't afford a new PC, therefore the only 'interesting' games they are able to play are 2002-2006 ones.

Do you really wanna leave 50% of the community out of this event because their parents aren't interested on buying these kids a new PC? When it's only made once per year? (+ their stats won't even be counted, and that says too much!).

The last hour, or the latest two ones; it isn't too much man, come on. The real event is the one we play; what we're gonna let these guys are simply crumbs.

Not to mention, almost all of us have been in that situation. I myself, for example, wasn't able to play Vice-War 3 at all. I would haven't either been able to play VW4 - VW5.

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 08:28:52 am »
Some history starting with my influence in the direction of VW since VW5.

VW5 in terms of performance requirements was very lenient, which led to one of the most massive debates we ever had on this forum about FPS and stability. I had ran a poll for the people to vote what they wanted better and they chose 30 FPS min, 300 ms ping with auto-kickig as we had mistrust of admins favourably kicking who they wanted, led to a huge drama with the admin board and caused serious problems but I digress, it all started there. We granted them that wish in VW6 as a promise to perform better.

Despite enforcing that limitation on the community that made many of our problematic members in VW5 unable to play VW6, we saw a substantial increase in turnup rates, VW5 held around at least 20 players the entire 24 hours, peaking at 40s. VW6 held 35 players for 24 hours peaking in the 50s. VW7 which got stricter on the ping side, has to date the biggest turnup rate yet, being currently the strictest VW ever set. Barely fell below 50 players much of the 24 hours with a peak of 70 players.

Year after year we have proven the point wrong that less restriction equals more players to play, what it equals to is an unenjoyable experience that make players quit, everytime. I can attest that many of our problematic persons in VW5 that missed VW6 made the effort to buy a new PC capable of VW7 which is why the player count got so drastically high. Other factors may be in play too such as the time of the year it was held and the huge delay but for VW8 it may be no different.

Do not cater for complacency and mediocrity, the playerbase has continually been proving that if they really want to play that bad, they'll find the way to do so. As such, Im not in favour of the lag hour, ruins the quality of the event and accomplishes nothing to VC:MP's problem, which is, this influx of laggy unstable players which I think is more deceiving than honest. Plus, I would like to do more grandiose things for future Vice Wars which requires the community to move up in their systems. Gone are the days of near 20 year old technology on every level as I know you cant enjoy a lot of things on those anymore. Something as simple as YouTube isnt very possible.

Klaus

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • Argonath RPG
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 03:51:10 pm »
Competitive where people are constantly getting kicked?
Players are only kicked when they are playing VC (a game released over a decade ago) at an unplayable state, whether that be latency issues or FPS. There are no excuses. I don't need to explain how lag can affect the game, we all know this already. In order to keep the game fair for everybody we have to enforce this.
Winner Winner x 1 (list)

PunkNoodle

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 04:55:02 pm »
I think GangstaRas has overall moved a well pondered good point. I don't agree with everything still mostly because as I said it's the measure of an hour which could be placed at the end or even after the event as Thomas said. I also see the point of advertising as Thomas again mentioned, you offer a bite of what they could have "if...". The part where I disagree is linking the stricter measures directly with the growth of the audience attending the event. I think it's more likely a resulting factor from several causes, even just by hearsay, the word spread further and I also think that VC:MP is still growing despite old players might say otherwise. But I'm digressing here.

@Klaus your last post it's not wrong, nothing to object there. The part where I disagreed is defining this game "competitive", I feel it defies any sort of logic. Despite we try our best to improve the event from every side, the game itself can never be considered competitive. There are too many variables that form a steep hurdle for some and lower for others while playing. In a way we're even saying the same thing just in different terms.

Opposite to what you wrote in your last post, I meant to say that most of our community is composed by laggers (according to the pings, the fps, and the way the sync is affected by the two) so 300ms as a ping limit it's still too high VC:MP-wise to define this competitive in my opinion. And with such a high limit, players are still getting kicked the whole time. That makes it not competitive and unrealistic as if we were to play truly by skills the limit and the audience would be restricted massively. Again I mentioned the ping as it's not solely their fault. We all know that as you said.

But anyway, I don't feel like insisting too much. If Ras doesn't see this as a good idea and doesn't favour it, so be it. I'm also tired and not particularly motivated so I'll drop it here. Lock this topic and make it vanish before hoards of people add to the discussion when it's public.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:01:55 pm by PunkNoodle »

Klaus

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • Argonath RPG
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 06:29:54 pm »
Opposite to what you wrote in your last post, I meant to say that most of our community is composed by laggers (according to the pings, the fps, and the way the sync is affected by the two) so 300ms as a ping limit it's still too high VC:MP-wise to define this competitive in my opinion.
We have to put a limit somewhere, and we voted last VW whereabouts that limit should be. The majority agreed that 300ms is most fitting and anything beyond that is unplayable. Most competitive events have also followed similar limitations, such as EAD events.

This is a competitive event, I'm not sure why you would think that it's not? It's one of the biggest and most competitively fought events of the VC:MP calender where both teams fight to win. It is about winning too, it's not sandbox like your usual TDM servers. As a result, we have to try and make the event as fair as possible to ALL players. There is always going to be complications where you get players with 15 ping against players with 250, but we can set a limit and try our best to enforce a fair-playing field for everyone.
Agree Agree x 2 (list)