April 27, 2024, 12:59:32 pm

Author Topic: Gaming mice.  (Read 967 times)

JuaN.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Gaming mice.
« on: August 13, 2020, 12:26:56 pm »
Hello there, so as the title says i would like to have a talk about gaming mice and well mice in general, i used to think that it was no use having a fancy gaming mouse with all of those RGB lights and shit. But like 3-4 months ago i got introduced by Freak into this interesting gaming mice world, since i have always used to play with an old logitech office mouse for all games and well the perfomance wasnt the best sometimes.

I would like to know your thoughts about mice in general, how much you care about DPI, sensors, shape, design, brand etc or perhaps if you dont care about having a good gaming mouse at all, and you have enough with your average office mouse for casual gaming.

There are many things that can make a gaming or normal mouse being good or bad, and there are other things that may get confusing when it comes to gaming mice so im gonna post a few tips i got thanks to Freak and over the internet that helped me a lot.

General and basic stuff about mice

-DPI - dots per inch - basically, this describes the sensitivity of your mouse. When you move your mouse, it detects how much you have moved it, and moves the cursor accordingly. The more DPI you have, the less movement is required to move the cursor the same amount.

-Acceleration - If a mouse has acceleration, it means that as you move the mouse faster, it will move your cursor faster. For example, lets say if I move my move one inch in one second, the cursor will move 500 pixels. With acceleration, if I move my mouse one inch in half a second, the cursor may move 750 pixels. Some people like acceleration, others don't. If your mouse comes with this feature, there is usually a way to enable/disable it.

-Polling Rate/Response time - The polling rate for a mouse is how many times per second it sends information to your computer. A 1000Hz polling rate will send 1000 updates to your computer per second. This means your mouse has a 1ms response time, or it sends one update per millisecond.

Things we should look into for our gaming mice.

- DPI and the ability to switch between different DPI settings - a high DPI allows for quick and precise movement while gaming. The ability to quickly change your DPI settings allow you to be more accurate when you need to be for example when zooming in with a sniper. For most people a DPI from 400-1200 works best. Though, some mice can go up to 5000 DPI or more.

- Mouse sensor - Nowadays you could find top-tier sensors in almost all good mouse brand and manufacturers. Most of these top-tier sensors(if not all) are developed by Pixart Imaging Inc, there is a large list of good sensors but i would recommend to look for PMW3310, PMW3325 but i would highly recommend the flawless sensor PMW3360 and many of its variants like PMW3366, PMW3389, or its variants from top-notch brands like razer, logitech, corsair, ROCCAT etc.. (Razer 5G sensor, Razer Focus+, Hero sensors from logitech etc). But as i said there any many variants but i would go for the ones stated above.

- Customizable buttons - A lot of gaming mice have extra buttons you can program to do whatever you want, some mice only have one or two buttons, while others may have 10 to 12.

-Wireless vs. Wired - This almost comes down to personal preference, however, most mice work better when wired. Also there's no need for batteries with a wired mouse. Side note: unlike keyboards, there isnt any advantage to using a PS/2 mouse over a USB mouse. Most mice today are USB mice.

-Response Time - Generally, a response time for 1-2ms is good. 4-8ms is perfectly fine for general use, but for gaming, this is somewhat of a disadvantage, as you can't react as fast with longer response times.

-Laser vs Optical - The main difference between both is the way both types of mouse track different surfaces and use different technology to track movement, but its well known that Laser sensors have nothing to do agaisnt modern Optical sensors. I recommend you to go for Optical instead of Laser always. There is nothing much left to say since Laser sensors are quite obsolete for gaming, so i will skip this point already.

Other minor points.

-Ergonomic Design - This means that the shape of the mouse is designed to fit your palm. The ergonomic shape is generally good for palm grippers, while claw and fingertip users won't mind a non-ergonomic mouse as much.

-Surface - If you're going to be spending certain amount of money on a mouse, you want to make sure that it actually works the way you want. Check that mouse will work well with whatever surface you will be using it on, or buy a gaming mouse pad. I've heard good things about the Steelseries QcK, but that discussion is for another thread.

-Braided Cable - Most gaming mice today come with a braided cable. This ensures that your cable wont get tangled up. Non-braided cables are usually fine, but are also less durable.

-Top-notch manufacturers/Brand - Logitech, Corsair, Razer, ROCCAT, Steelseries, Cooler master, Zowie and there could be many others but I think these that are stated above could be a right choice.

This was a little list with basic stuff you should take into consideration before buying any gaming mice/mouse, and of course we could do further discussions about other points or what shape or sensor is better. But this thread was meant to be for helping those members of this community that may not know a lot bout this topic and of course for those that also have a good knowledge of gaming mice to share their thoughts and their opinions.

So feel free to post what is your opinion about gaming mice, which one you own, which one you would like to own or perhaps you have any doubt and you need some help.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:28:37 pm by JuaN. »
Agree Agree x 1 Winner Winner x 1 Informative Informative x 9 Friendly Friendly x 2 Useful Useful x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

ZAiM

• Fanatic
  • I came, I saw, I conquered.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming mice.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 12:13:53 am »
going to get Redragon Pegasus M705 today!

Informative Informative x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 07:04:08 am »
Redgear A-20 is best in cheap range.
Logitech G102 2nd gen is best gaming mice in mid range.(Highly recommended)
And for higher range, you can go Razer gaming mice or any other higher range Logitech like G402

Simpler the mouse design the better, all gaming mouse with complex design are not suitable for left handed people so please consider that while you get a gaming mice.

A gaming mouse without a big mouse pad is like not using the full capability of your mouse.
Agree Agree x 1 Informative Informative x 3 (list)

Aegon

• Fanatic
  • Miami Killers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 09:02:25 am »
I have it and I use it, after some months of use the only problem that came up is the LMB, it used to double click before and the LMB sometimes just doesn't even respond. (I assigned left click on thumb when i started facing the issue) and i bet many people have faced this issue.

It's good for starters if you're thinking to start using a gaming mouse.

Otherwise if you can then go for better ones also like Zowie(heard from many guys that it's good) Razer/HyperX/Logitech (G402/502/703).

Bloody also has a good variety and most of them are cheap or mid range. I've seen many people use bloody mice and they liked it.

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:44:00 pm »
I have it and I use it, after some months of use the only problem that came up is the LMB, it used to double click before and the LMB sometimes just doesn't even respond. (I assigned left click on thumb when i started facing the issue) and i bet many people have faced this issue.

Otherwise if you can then go for better ones also like Zowie(heard from many guys that it's good) Razer/HyperX/Logitech (G402/502/703).

Bloody also has a good variety and most of them are cheap or mid range. I've seen many people use bloody mice and they liked it.
Yes the problem was with all of Logitech's first gen mouse which was later resolved in 2nd gen. That being the reason I said 2nd gen xD
Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

Aegon

• Fanatic
  • Miami Killers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:57:39 pm »

Yes the problem was with all of Logitech's first gen mouse which was later resolved in 2nd gen. That being the reason I said 2nd gen xD
oh i see,well i didn't know till now that there was a 2nd gen to this mouse xD. Looking forward to trying it someday.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:00:26 pm by Aegon »

JuaN.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 04:41:24 pm »
For anyone facing the double-click issue, i have to say that razer is using a new optical switch technology on their latest gaming mice like deathadder v2, viper etc. The benefits of optical switches over mechanical switches are their increased durability, in addition to the elimination of any 'debounce delay' which improves response time (measured in ms) between when you click the mouse, and when the computer registers the click.

However Razer products aint cheap at all but really overpriced sometimes, but if the double click issue is something that really concerns you and dont mind about price, you could give it a go since with those optical switches you will never develop "double-click" issue.

Radon

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 08:52:18 pm »
oh i see,well i didn't know till now that there was a 2nd gen to this mouse xD. Looking forward to trying it someday.

Yep, there's a 2nd generation of G102 which is called Lightsync actually (while the first Prodigy).

There are also some more variants of Logitech mice such as G203 etc which are also getting the 2nd gen variant. I think same's applying for their keyboards and other devices aswell.

Milko

• Crazy Man
  • <message removed by RajPut>
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:08:59 pm »
I have a Razer mouse (Deathadder chroma) and I was disappointed with it. Cheap-feeling materials, paint wearing off, mouse scroll done with after 6 months (mainly because of VCMP).

Currently using a logitech g303, great accuracy and shape, but the switches have long since started malfunctioning, click once and at times the click is registered twice.

I have been most pleased with Steelseries (had a kinzu v3), great build quality, accuracy and durability of clicks. Sadly the mouse died because I was messing with it on my own, but I recommend steelseries above logitech.

As for razer, don't let the price fool you as it did me.

JuaN.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 09:35:05 pm »
Well i had a Razer viper mouse and it was a great mouse, top-notch i would say when it comes to gaming mice, razer is quite overpriced but i dont really know about the past but they have been working pretty well lately when it comes to build quality and all of that. Seems like they have finally listened to the customers a little more than they used to.

I am currently using Endgame gear xm1 mouse, its not as well known as Razer or logitech could be, but seems like this company is working really well looking at their reviews all over the internet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:45:59 pm by JuaN. »

MD619

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • VU4LiFe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »
Nice post juan, will read someday  :)
Agree Agree x 1 Funny Funny x 6 Winner Winner x 1 Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

Roystang's art