login
March 28, 2024, 12:06:52 pm

Author Topic: VW8 Benchmark Server  (Read 17501 times)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
VW8 Benchmark Server
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:32:06 am »
With Vice War coming and going every year, there has been a set number of people that continually apply each year, celebrate with gladness when they get accepted to participate then unfortunately get kicked every time on event day and cannot play Vice War due to their inadequate PCs not meeting the typical demands of the event. Our participants for the most part may be fine on servers with less players and far less chaos, but Vice War is a different ball game that needs modern day hardware to enjoy. But for our participants that are non-tech savvy, how do you know you have a problem?

This year, we hope to illustrate that to you by providing a benchmark standard for the foreseeable future that represents well the level of load everyone participating can expect on their system in any given Vice War. We've hosted this server as early as we could so that you have the chance to upgrade your PC in time for VW8 at least, which is scheduled to be in December.

Server Details:
217.69.11.99:8192

We encourage everyone to join the server, spawn, run through ALL four tests (they are 20 seconds long each) and let it assess your system's capabilities. Your results (average frame rate) for each test will be logged by us and displayed back to you. This will be the requirement during the registration process of VW8 later on in the year and for future Vice Wars as well. We hope our loyal fans understand the reason and rationale behind this, we would love for everyone to be able to participate rather than have their hopes on high to be crushed by reality later.

How Does Everything Work?

There for four tests that play out in sequence that test two main components of your system that determines your performance in-game, your CPU and your GPU. Three of the four tests are CPU testers, while the last one is a GPU tester.

CPU Test

The game stresses the CPU when you have higher player counts and a lot of objects, (in fact, consider players as objects) and the more of them in a localized spot, the higher the CPU load, thus the greater the performance drop. VW for the past 3 years now have been able to maintain about 50 players for at least 22 of the 24 hours - that's 50 objects, then consider it that each player took a vehicle to drive to their destination where all the action is happening, now that's 50+ objects in a warzone. We can optimize vehicle respawn times, optimize spawn loc vehicle layouts, try to spread the fight evenly (based on the nature of the gamemode) sure but we cannot control where a horde of players will be, as such, our participants have to prepare for the worst and the worst is illustrated as follows:

• Test 1 - 25 Vehicles Test (to represent 25 objects)
  • Test 2 - 50 Vehicle Test (to represent 50 objects)
  • Test 3 - 100 Vehicle Test (to represent 100 objects)

In order to pass the CPU test, you need AT LEAST 25 FPS on Test 3. Persons that fail to hold that mark will not be accepted to participate in Vice War. Persons that get under 30 FPS in Test 1 and/or Test 2 will also be automatically denied.

There is nothing you can do to help gain more FPS for these tests other than to upgrade to a new modern CPU. Changing resolution, changing draw distance, changing game streamed memory in /setconfig, none of those will help pass this test. Only new hardware or overclocking your CPU can increase performance here (if you don't know what overclocking is, it's likely going to end up being all the more reason you're forced to buy new hardware if you know what I mean   :-X, you have been forewarned)

Through our testing we discovered that an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 was able to pass this test with 36 FPS on Test 3. This CPU is old (from 2008) but has proven to be capable. If your CPU was manufactured later than 2008 (Google your CPU's release date, search by model), then there's a chance it will not be able to handle this test and you may need to upgrade.

GPU Test

In moments, there are certain things that contribute to sudden high GPU load, predominantly all the explosions, all the molotovs that get spammed all over, helicopters kicking up dust suddenly or the helicopter blades flying sparks as it scrapes against something. These moments tend to tank the FPS of some persons very heavily and very quickly, causing very unstable FPS that manifests into even worse lag than ping. We aim to combat against that with this test.

Other things that cause increased GPU load are the rain weather effect, 2DFX elements such as fog, and tear gas. These latter ones mentioned may not make a scene in this Vice War (probably) but we would like to be able to venture out further and exercise more of our creativity in the future.

As such, this portion is definitely subject to change in terms of requirements as we go along each year but the test may remain the same as as of right now, this is incredibly GPU demanding. The test is as follows:

• Test 4 - Custom Object emitting 2DFX particles (similar to Tear Gas load)

In order to pass the GPU test, you need AT LEAST 25 FPS on Test 4. Persons that fail to hold this mark will not be accepted to participate in Vice War.

There are however things you can do to help pass this test. The first one is to lower your resolution. You may be using a resolution that is too high for your GPU to handle in the Vice War setting. Lowering your resolution can dramatically have an impact on your FPS in this test, especially if you were running at a high resolution from the beginning. But the lower your initial resolution was, the less of a chance you have to get any meaningful impact. For example:

If I get 19 FPS at 1920x1080, I have many resolutions between this one and 640x480 (the lowest resolution you can run with the game) to find a sweetspot to get the 25 FPS mark. Let's say I had 10 FPS at 800x600, it is unlikely that 640x480 will help much to boost you from 10 FPS to 25 FPS, the resolutions in size are too close.

Exhausting these methods and still unable to meet the requirement means that you now have to buy a GPU in order to run VW. No need to buy the most expensive GPU in the world, any GPU of recent years (no later than 2011 to be safe) should be able to handle the job at an appropriate resolution.

Please note that if you lower your resolution to meet the demands of Test 4, you will be auto-kicked if you play Vice War at a resolution above the one that got you 25 FPS in Test 4. You will not be auto-kicked if you play at this same resolution or lower if you so please. This also applies for capable persons, so if you know you can handle a very high resolution, it is best you join the benchmark server at that resolution and have that as your record.

The following persons NEED to upgrade their computers within these months if they want to participate in Vice War:

Key:
CPU - upgrade to a modern day desktop
GPU - buy a modern day graphics card for your desktop
PC - Potato Computer; abandon ASAP

Bold names signify players that fell under 20 FPS

Names
[OSKr]Trevas^
=TRC=Kelvin
hileli_oyun
DU.Lilz0R
[MDd]6ix9ine
Gala*PL
knight

[VU]Deadmau5
[TSS]BirdMan.
VU_R.DronZ
MKHK
VU_T.Febulous
ghy5y6
Tajammul

=TRC=ZUBI
[NF]Police
[VU_R]MD619

[VU_R]GoRcEE
[MK]Rest
Playboy192
We3da^
BlaziKan_++++SaLlekBoy
=RO=AlecuMadalin32
trung
[DK]ironwolf
ismail
ario1
maroc

Upgrade
PC
PC
PC

GPU (you can lower your resolution)
PC
PC
PC

CPU (borderline on GPU too, advise lower your resolution)
PC
GPU
PC
PC
PC

PC
PC

PC
PC
PC
PC
PC
PC

CPU
PC
PC

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 03:25:02 pm by GangstaRas »
Funny Funny x 7 Winner Winner x 5 Pwnt Pwnt x 1 Informative Informative x 5 Useful Useful x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Trex

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • You will not win, cause I will not lose.
    • View Profile
Re: VW8 Benchmark Server
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:38:06 am »
That's cool addon tho but UID system will remain? :/
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:55:06 am »
That's cool addon tho but UID system will remain? :/

It will remain but we will improve on it so that its not as bad as the first one which was primarily an issue caused by having applications opened for 6 months (anything can happen to old applicants in that long of a space)

Zeeshan.Bhatti

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:01:25 pm »
That's good but why framelimiter is auto getting off/on when we reach to Test 4?

https://imgur.com/a/vtll2IN

Current Experience: EC Admin.
Past Experience: LG Dev, VCDM Dev, SDC Admin, AvT Admin, Skylarks Admin, Skylarks cnr, ECS Admin.
Events:  EC Championship Referee, EC Ladder Admin, ViceWar VI Admin, EYE 3 Referee, ECKO Management, EYE4 Referee.
TRC Member - Since 03, May, 2017

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
  • we just here for ripmemes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:38:48 pm »
wait what? I'm quite sure I'd never pass test 2 :'( :'(, gotta fix my laptop
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 3 (list)

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 02:39:27 pm »
That's good but why framelimiter is auto getting off/on when we reach to Test 4?

https://imgur.com/a/vtll2IN

FL is always off. You dropped in FPS on the fourth test which is purely GPU bound. This is normal. Even if you have a modern day GPU I expect most people to drop in frames on Test 4. For example i have a GTX 960, I game at 1024x768 and get 60 FPS on Test 4 but if I go 2048x1536, I'm down to 45 FPS. If I go 3840x2160 on my TV, 42 FPS.

I can game at these resolutions and should be fine most times, but by the test, it signifies that I shouldn't be too comfortable to think that GTA VC is always easy to run under every condition.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:42:30 pm by GangstaRas »

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »
Actually I sucessefully passed all tests
but gangstaras I have a question, when I had test1 I came to have 31 fps but in test 2 it increased to 51 fps?
how could this be possible
(I joined with the nickname of SoloWingPixy)
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 03:14:02 pm »
but gangstaras I have a question, when I had test1 I came to have 31 fps but in test 2 it increased to 51 fps?

I see 47 FPS registered for your Test 1 and the 51 as you speak for Test 2

On laptops especially where they prioritize power savings, when a CPU load is not great enough (Test 1 isn't very CPU heavy for most modern day CPUs), they don't run at full speed which can make Test 1 looks lower than it really could be. That is fine for us. But if we see the pattern that you get low on Test 1 then lower on Test 2 and still lower on Test 3, that makes us know that your CPU can't handle the load and is legitimately weak.

Milko

• Crazy Man
  • <message removed by RajPut>
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 03:24:16 pm »
yes ganstrag well job
good
Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 04:10:35 pm »

On laptops especially where they prioritize power savings, when a CPU load is not great enough (Test 1 isn't very CPU heavy for most modern day CPUs), they don't run at full speed which can make Test 1 looks lower than it really could be. That is fine for us. But if we see the pattern that you get low on Test 1 then lower on Test 2 and still lower on Test 3, that makes us know that your CPU can't handle the load and is legitimately weak.
Actually, I use desktop. So I cannot participate in ViceWar?

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 05:12:31 pm »

Actually, I use desktop. So I cannot participate in ViceWar?

You can as long as you meet the requirements. Test 3 and Test 4 carry the most weight, if you pass those with 25 FPS and above, no matter the system, you're set. Test 2 and Test 1 is for thoroughness in the CPU testing. The server isnt always packed, it represents those lighter loads. And if you cant handle those, you automatically would not be able to handle Test 3 plus it tells you shouldnt be playing VCMP on a whole in the first place, get it?

aXXo

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 06:36:29 pm »

I believe the cause of low FPS on first test might be due to the mini-freeze/stutter. It occurs when the player is teleported to a different district which is not loaded yet. So, momentarily the FPS is 0, which lowers the average calculation of the first test. If this is the case, it will also be true for the 4th test since that also includes a teleport.

To confirm it, the script would need to commence the test 1 second after the teleport. Alternatively, change the spawn screen to somewhere close to the location where the tests happen, so everything is pre-loaded.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 06:59:32 pm »

I believe the cause of low FPS on first test might be due to the mini-freeze/stutter. It occurs when the player is teleported to a different district which is not loaded yet. So, momentarily the FPS is 0, which lowers the average calculation of the first test. If this is the case, it will also be true for the 4th test since that also includes a teleport.

To confirm it, the script would need to commence the test 1 second after the teleport. Alternatively, change the spawn screen to somewhere close to the location where the tests happen, so everything is pre-loaded.

Test 4 is fine, it's negated as it gives you back the performance due to the particles taking a second to hit max emission. For Test 1 I agree, but have also noted that if you stay on the server and delay spawning for 10 seconds, this is enough to fix Test 1's issue, try it out yourself.

We tried to add this delay this morning but Luckshya broke something in the process so at the moment, The CPU Test i.e. Test 1, 2 and 3 are not representative of the proper result. Anyone that did their test after 15:30 GMT June 25 will have erroneous results. Test 4 (GPU Test) is still fine.

As I'm unable to lock the server myself, I will update when the matter is sorted out.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:47:53 pm by GangstaRas »

Thomas

• Crazy Man
  • Death awaits you always
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:09 pm »
Took the test, its weird that my lappy supports upto 59.999 FPS while dueling but only goes around 25 FPS on flame test 4?. others around 39fps

Nick used DZ.Thomas.
check that for me please.

Vice War 8 Developer
Vice War 8 Web Master
Playing VC-MP Since 2009
Representing Miami Killers.
T4iVi3R | HeisenBerg | Thomas | Tom4S

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:26:44 pm »
Took the test, its weird that my lappy supports upto 59.999 FPS while dueling but only goes around 25 FPS on flame test 4?. others around 39fps

Nick used DZ.Thomas.
check that for me please.

I see this for your tests:

Test 1 - 44 FPS
Test 2 - 39 FPS
Test 3 - 28 FPS

You did these at a time when everything was ok so these are true. You passed Test 3 by maintaining above 25 FPS, therefore your CPU is ok but on the minimum side. Could you please tell us your CPU model? I'm guessing it's probably a Intel Core 2 Duo E series or Pentium Dual Core E series.

Test 4 - 25 FPS

You're also at the bare minimum level with regards to your GPU. You took 2 tests, one you got 25 FPS and the other you got 24 FPS. You ran both at 1920x1080 resolution. You technically pass but I would lower the resolution to get a lil bit more FPS. 1600x900 should be good enough for you to hold a solid 25 FPS and over each time. Could you also tell us what your GPU is?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:31:14 pm by GangstaRas »