login
April 28, 2024, 02:00:49 pm

Author Topic: Blog tips  (Read 733 times)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Blog tips
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:31:18 pm »
Hey, do any of you internet wizkids have any tips for setting up a blog? Best hosts/software?
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Writer of excessively long posts

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Blog tips
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »
Wordpress.

Easy to setup (If you dont use a "wordpress host" which has it preinstalled) and easy to use.

Also has plenty of themes and plugins available.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:37:06 pm »
So would you recommend using wordpress but with a private host? If so, which webhosting company do you recommend going with? I'm looking for .com

stormeus

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
    • GTA VICE CITY Respective owner
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »
If you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up your own Wordpress blog, want a reliable host, and want to use your own domain, use Wordpress.com (NOT Wordpress.org, which is for the software itself).

<krystianoo> stormeus do good job
<krystianoo> with recent update
<krystianoo> if not agree; jeb yourself in head
<Avenger> yesterday you said death to stormeus
<karan> double standard krystianoo
<karan> he called him fake prophet too
<krystianoo> sure fake prophet
<krystianoo> but with recent updates real

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:50:38 pm »
I would always go for a host which gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. Depending on the level of knowledge you/friends have it shouldn't be too hard to setup wordpress yourself.

I have never used any host other then VRocker or the Minelord dedi, so I can't really recommend a particular host.

Depending on what you're going to use the blog for, I could offer some space on the minelord dedi if you want.
I'll have a chat with Windy first though, just to be sure it's alright with him as well.

Or that ^. It's not really a bad host. Im not sure if they support a .com domain to go with it though?
Guess they do. It's 15 euros a year for the domain. But I think you need to buy premium as well, which costs 80 euros a year.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:53:40 pm by Thijn »

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »
Hmm looks to me like a custom domain is included in the premium package. I could get it for about £60 a year, so £5 a month. Not bad.

Thanks guys