login
May 03, 2024, 03:43:27 am

Author Topic: Cannot connect two Computers ( 1 laptop, 1 desktop ) via CAT5e Crossover Cable!!  (Read 1482 times)

Shadow

So, I just bought a CAT5e Crossover Ethernet Cable.. fine... fine.... I connect it to both laptop and desktop, I want to establish a LAN CONNECTION ( WITHOUT WAN INTERNET ) between those two, I try hard.. try... set same workgroup, set same IP with last digit different.. Keep on trying!!! Change computer names! Nothing.. Keep on trying! Set Sharing and Computer discovery to Homegroup! NOTHING

I just got mad, the thing that trolls me so hard is that the network connection between those two is recognised as PUBLIC and whenever I try to ping from the laptop to the desktop, it returns 4 replies, received, no loss, average 5ms, max 15ms

WHEN I try to ping from the Desktop to the laptop, I dont get any reply, just the poor message "Request timed out." and 4 losses!

HELP ME Please. All I want to do is to set Desktop as a VC:MP/CS1.6/SA:MP server, to connect from the desktop on the local server, then to connect from the laptop to the desktop server. PLEASE. GOD. HELP ME.
Cannot rate own posts

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Get wireless.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Just connect them both to a modem, either by wireless or just a cable. The modem doesn't need to be connected to the internet. Im not sure what you wanna do next, but you should have a working LAN network. And should be able to ping each other. For me that worked, since I just tested it out.
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

Shadow

I got a simple cable, I have to figure out with it, Not gonna spend my money on routers and shizzes
Cannot rate own posts

aXXo

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
It works fine for me.
Make sure both machines have the same Default Gateway.

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Try hosting the server on the laptop and connect via the desktop.

Writer of excessively long posts

VercettiS

• Regular
    • View Profile

<xCow>: ** [3]  [MKt]DeViL_JiN: i Dont care if 10 players aim on me there m60
<xCow>: ** [3]  [MKt]DeViL_JiN: i only care ABout Nilz
<xCow>: ** [MK]Nilz killed [MKt]DeViL_JiN (Stubby) (Torso) (8.4m)
<xCow>: ** [3]  [MKt]DeViL_JiN: shit

kyber7

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile

Yes, but Desktop PCs are more powerful therefore a good choice for hosting.
I would suggest using Hamachi for LAN?

"i meat Charley and he teaches me to be a strong fighter and thats no joke"

~ Summer, 2010
  "The Beginning"

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Oh God.

One thing I was wondering though. If the PC is so powerful, why don't you host both server and client on it?
Also, What PC or laptop isn't connected to the internet nowadays? seriously...

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile

Yes, but Desktop PCs are more powerful therefore a good choice for hosting.
It doesn't take an uber pc to host a few servers, it pretty much needs the minimum. That's why hosting services make use of lame pc's on which they host their services, and manage their services from a few uber pc's.

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Zeke

• Crazy Man
  • VC:MP and LU beta tester
    • View Profile
Quote from: sShadow WS Forums
Fixed. You just have to ensure the connections are 'home' type then, create the workgroup, enable IPv6, connect to the workgroup from the other computer, then, that's it, you can share whatever you want with click2 > share with > Homegroup (Read/Write) :) Thanks for no replies :D

As we can see, Shadow has fixed everything.
Locky Lock

InstallHook(0x405AC0,(DWORD)CantFindFuckingAnim,0x405A95,
CantFindFuckingAnim_HookJmpCode,sizeof(CantFindFuckingAnim_HookJmpCode));
-------------------------------------------------
[00:41:12] <~Murdock> actually just transfering files
[00:41:16] <~Murdock> sounds, clientscripts etc
[00:42:05] <heekzs> what transfer method you uses
[00:43:03] <~Murdock> speed of light