login
April 19, 2024, 01:46:43 am

Author Topic: IT IS HAPPENING  (Read 2943 times)

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
  • we just here for ripmemes.
    • View Profile
Re: IT IS HAPPENING
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 11:36:12 am »
But, Valve, being the cunts they now are, couldn't have bothered to finish a singleplayer game that was responsible for their success.
You can't call them cunts. They made half-life and they are free if they whether want to finish it or not. I am sure they have reasons for ep3 delay.
Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

Knucis

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 02:57:46 pm »
You can't call them cunts. They made half-life and they are free if they whether want to finish it or not. I am sure they have reasons for ep3 delay.
I can if that's what they are now... Remember they tried to sell mods alongside Bethesda. They announced a game that literally no one asked for.

Valve is no longer the community driven game company they once were. All they care right now is making money off Steam, even if it means ripping off the developers who publish their games there for money. Though I am hoping this backfires hard against them, and they shift their current business model.

Half-Life was great, and huge respect for that, but don't let that fool you, there is an old Valve, and a new Valve.

Valve, we used to make games... Now we make money.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:04:03 pm by Knucis »
Funny Funny x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Pleyo

• Vice Underdogs (Inactive)
  • Crazy Man
  • Best Sona main ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 12:39:42 am »
i want portal

(not a tcg, but an actual portal game but valve doesn't know how to count to 3)

Zatch

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Night City
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 03:23:09 am »
i want portal

They will come along with HL and Left 4 Dead 3 8)
Funny Funny x 1 (list)

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 03:29:27 am »
i want portal

Sí pimpollo, y santa claus existe tambien :P
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

Zatch

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Night City
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 04:50:16 am »
i want portal

Sí pimpollo, y santa claus existe tambien :P
jajajajaja pendejo. soñar no cuesta nada

Knucis

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 12:48:34 am »
*bump*

Have been reading my past posts to find something to post on the "out of context VC:MP", and god this thread didn't age well. I can proudly say I was wrong on some points :D - HL:Alyx is awesome. Can't wait for HL3, even though it was kind of a retcon.

I'll fucking kill Valve if they break my heart again with 10+ years of silence :(
Funny Funny x 2 Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 11:16:30 am »
*bump*

Have been reading my past posts to find something to post on the "out of context VC:MP", and god this thread didn't age well. I can proudly say I was wrong on some points :D - HL:Alyx is awesome. Can't wait for HL3, even though it was kind of a retcon.

I'll fucking kill Valve if they break my heart again with 10+ years of silence :(
Bruh did I miss anything ?

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 11:50:16 am »
Well I haven't played it, but I changed my opinion on HL3's development, something interesting that Newell said in an interview. We simply didn't have the technology available at the time to make the game we wanted Half Life to be. So reflecting on that, and the vast improvements source engine has had, we might actually see a sequel at some point in time.

There probably isn't a lot of you here that are fans of the STALKER series for example, basically same thing happened. A sequel was announced in 2010, went into development hell, got cancelled in 2014 when the CEO of the developer decided to close the company as there was no funding, and the game that was very well into development didn't reach his expectations of a sequel. Basically he said he'd rather not release anything than release something that wouldn't be revolutionary.

Fast forward to 2020, GSC gameworld is re-opened, and STALKER 2 is coming out in 2021, on a completely new next gen engine  :)

The problem with these highly anticipated releases is the high expectations from the market itself. Perfect example would be Duke Nukem Forever, took 10 years to be made. Very controversial game, but here's the thing.
They released a game with 2005's mechanics and graphics in 2011. 2011 is the year games like Skyrim, dayz were released. So tough and more advanced competition. In all essence, the game was a true sequel, had all of the dumb shit from the previous ones and did a lot of fan service. The problem was that the people who grew up playing Duke Nukem are now 30,40 year olds, and there's a new generation of kid gamers out there, that didn't really understand what the game was about. So of course, the game flopped and got bombed in reviews, even though it was essentially a good sequel.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:55:19 am by ferrari32 »
Agree Agree x 1 Useful Useful x 1 (list)

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Knucis

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 10:58:05 pm »
Bruh did I miss anything ?
Duuuude, have you been living under a rock? HL:Alyx is amazing! It's a prequel for HL2, with some revelations at the end :) - I won't spoil much after that.

-------

something interesting that Newell said in an interview. We simply didn't have the technology available at the time to make the game we wanted Half Life to be.
From some interviews with some current and ex-Valve employees, their "business philosophy" was that each employee chose which project they worked on, and are, somewhat, free to start their own. As you can tell, this has its pros and cons. The initial team of HL2:ep3 development was always changing scopes, projects & interests faded, so lots of man-power was lost at that time to actually finish the game. And since a lot of other original titles were being developed (Portal, TF2, L4D, L4D2, Portal 2, DoTA2), the development simply didn't happen. Eventually a lot of time passed and indepentent teams within Valve started prototyping their own version of the game, but it never actually flourished... Artifact was actually  developed with this practice - apparently there are loads of developers there that enjoyed card games at the time.

The focus on VR from Valve's part, and the notion that HL was always developed to show new technologies (HL1 - showcasing FPS narrative, HL2 - showcasing source engine, realism in game & physics, HL:Alyx (and eventually HL3) - showcasing the full potential of a AAA game design for VR), it was the perfect time for them to once again regain a little bit of focus unto the series.

But yeah, I don't think anyone was expecting HL2:ep3 to be a huge revolutionary technology game (that would be expected from HL3, as you're saying), we just wanted the god damn narrative to not end in a cliffhanger :(

we might actually see a sequel at some point in time.
Hehehehehe, you haven't seen the after credits of HL:Alyx have you? :D Won't spoil, but you might be happy :)
Informative Informative x 1 (list)

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2020, 05:00:14 am »
HL Alyx : VR Only
Spectating no fun, but I will have to do it now

Thomas

• Crazy Man
  • Death awaits you always
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2020, 01:50:27 pm »
Funny Funny x 1 (list)

Vice War 8 Developer
Vice War 8 Web Master
Playing VC-MP Since 2009
Representing Miami Killers.
T4iVi3R | HeisenBerg | Thomas | Tom4S