login
March 28, 2024, 10:37:34 pm

Author Topic: Arrogance vs confidence  (Read 2005 times)

morphine

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Arrogance vs confidence
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:55:34 am »
So I was going through one of these generic VU applications the other week and was afraid that, as usual, nothing would spark particular interest until I saw Charley’s response on confidence being a virtue and arrogance being a vice

Can we get everybody in the room to voice out their opinions on what exactly confidence and arrogance are and what the difference between the two terms is, Charley included

Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
  • we just here for ripmemes.
    • View Profile
Re: Arrogance vs confidence
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:11:33 am »
confidence is like having faith but arrogance is a bad thing that leads to even worse than before and making everybody disrespect you.
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 2 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:57:38 am »
Hmm, feels like deja vu doing this but meh

Arrogance:

Newbie: So I was looking through the forums and I noticed you guys don't have a WebIRC option, ever thought of having one?

The Jackass: Look, we've been around for 10 years, don't you think we already thought that shit out? GTFO you <insert racist remark here>

Confidence:

Newbie: So I was looking through the forums and I noticed you guys don't have a WebIRC option, ever thought of having one?

The Confident Man: Sure we have, but it's something we decided wasn't in our best interest to implement as we have many tutorials on how to setup IRC client, free IRC client applications and more. Check out our link here: <insert link>

I can even provide an even more true to life example that happen recently

Arrogance:

MAD_K!LL3R: How would you know anything about M4? You have 0 skill in M4 therefore you will never understand the intricacies of lead aim with my lag

Confidence:
GangstaRas: <insert dictionary links of preference and ignorance> pretty sure they're not synonymous  ???

Agree Agree x 1 Funny Funny x 4 Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

Thomas

• Crazy Man
  • Death awaits you always
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:04:55 pm »
So I was going through one of these generic VU applications the other week and was afraid that, as usual, nothing would spark particular interest until I saw Charley’s response on confidence being a virtue and arrogance being a vice

Can we get everybody in the room to voice out their opinions on what exactly confidence and arrogance are and what the difference between the two terms is, Charley included
hi u read my app yes.
Optimistic Optimistic x 1 Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

Vice War 8 Developer
Vice War 8 Web Master
Playing VC-MP Since 2009
Representing Miami Killers.
T4iVi3R | HeisenBerg | Thomas | Tom4S

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 06:02:28 am »
Sorry I only just saw this. Yeah the arrogance vs confidence thing is something I've been preaching since I learned the hard way when I was about 14. You'll find that same point made in my posts all over this forum. Let me paint my picture of confidence vs arrogance with a series of juxtapositions, mostly just off the top of my head.

Confident:
I have faith that my skills, knowledge and ability in a given domain are valuable and reliable. However, I do not claim to have mastered anything, and I am genuinely open to dialogue that may challenge what I believe to be a strength of mine.

Arrogant:
I have faith that my skills, knowledge and ability in a particular area are valuable and reliable. There is no need for me to engage in dialogue about my strengths, because I know them to be sound.

Confident:
I deserve elevated respect from someone only once they have seen a successful demonstration of my value.

Arrogant:
I deserve elevated respect from someone as a result of my reputation.

Confident:
I will admit that I don't know something.

Arrogant:
I will rarely admit that I don't know something.

Confident:
If someone believes I have made a mistake, my first assumption is 'maybe'. If upon investigation it turns out that I have, then I have no trouble admitting it and apologising if necessary.

Arrogant:
If someone believes I have made a mistake, my first assumption is 'they're probably wrong', or 'there was a mistake, but it was not my fault'. I will often shift the blame for my mistakes onto someone or something else, rationalising them not only to others, but also to myself. I rarely apologise.

Confident:
I have my own plans, but I respect the importance of other perspectives, so will regularly seek second or third opinions on my decisions.

Arrogant:
I have my own plans, and there's not much point in getting others' opinions because I know best. If the decision turns out to be a bad one, it will most likely be because of someone or something outside of my control.

Confident:
I have no problem making a fool out of myself, it will not damage my reputation in the eyes of others so long as they understand who I really am. And if they don't, then time will help.

Arrogant:
I do not make a fool out of myself, and I hate it when people make fun of me. Every moment counts in creating a perception of myself, the facade must not drop.

Confident:
I am prepared to show moments of weakness or fatigue, as they are part of the human condition.

Arrogant:
I project an image of being constantly okay, no matter what. The only exception is when I'm angry at someone else for having messed something up.

Confident:
I will share my strengths when called upon, or when it's appropriate. Otherwise I will just use them, and over time people will learn they're there.

Arrogant:
I will brag about my strengths as and when I wish. I won't wait until people have seen them before expecting people to believe in me.

Confident:
I am not above or below anyone else, we simply have different contributions to make to the world.

Arrogant:
I contribute, or can contribute, more than others, therefore I am superior to them.

Confident:
I am humble, grateful, courteous and respectful.

Arrogant:
I am self-righteous, entitled, often rude and disregard most people.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:04:08 am by Charley »
Agree Agree x 1 Pwnt Pwnt x 2 Informative Informative x 5 Useful Useful x 2 (list)

Writer of excessively long posts

TheKing

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • THE KKO OUTTA NOWHERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:23:38 pm »
There's a very thin line between arrogance and confidence.

I think that being arrogant is know you have a certain amount of skill in something you've been doing for several years, yet you're not open to any discussion or debates of how that particular something can be done better.

Confidence is knowing you've mastered something yet you know there can be many other ways to get to the same solution. That your word is not the end of the line to something.

An arrogant person is based solemnly on himself(I can do it on my own, I don't need anyone), a confident person empowers a group of people to showcase there abilities to do better(We can propose something better, Lets put my expertise and your creativity together to solve the issue).
Agree Agree x 2 Informative Informative x 1 Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

ITS THE BIG DOG!

klein.

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:02:21 am »
Confidence & Arrogance don't go together. Arrogance makes you feel you're right. Confidence is humble & quiet.

Shadow.Jack^

• Fanatic
  • Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:24:37 pm »
Quote from: TheKing

An arrogant person is based solemnly on himself(I can do it on my own, I don't need anyone), a confident person empowers a group of people to showcase there abilities to do better(We can propose something better, Lets put my expertise and your creativity together to solve the issue).
That's called a difference between Autocratic leadership and Democratic leadership.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:28:44 pm by Shadow.Jack^ »