login
March 28, 2024, 08:14:46 pm

Author Topic: A guide for VC:MP Newbies  (Read 7736 times)

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
A guide for VC:MP Newbies
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:57:12 am »
Posted already on VC:MP forums, but i think it will be better to publish here since this forum is kinda more visited and so it has more "power of speech" we could say.

Introduction to VC:MP
all what you have to know about (or so) - and some advices about it

INDEX

1)- Introduction

Hello there; seeing how playercount in VC-MP is a quite big problem; and also putting a special lookout on how everyday newbies who decide to try VC-MP as for first time don't get familiarity with the mod because to many factors (english, fighting skills and non-knowledge about the commands) this is a guide for them, to encourage them to stay and play; get the best and the worst of this community and this mod and specially help this all to survive, atleast a couple more of years.
There are people that know a lot of this game more than me, and i am not essentially a example of how a player should be, but based on my long travel during VC-MP (more or less 6 years) i think i am capable of helping people to get more acquianted with this game and try to put in way the people from a start to avoid introducing themselves into wrong decisions, being toxic (a problem mentioned by a lot of people into this) and finally to make them feel love for this mod.
We will further review the basic commands for most of the servers - how to play in game, a mini guide to learn how to fight. The most important forums and servers. What's IRC, what are the clans and which are the most known ones, and which events happen in VC-MP and how much time they take. I also encourage you, if you see a newbie that might need help, to link this guide for him. You would be doing something special.

- Download VC-MP 0.4 (last version)
- If you are facing 004rel006 problem, here's the solution.

That all said, let's start.

2)- Language: basic knowledge about english

Visit my guide in this section.

3)- Ingame Commands (for now, it's for DM and CTF - A/D servers, not RPG.)

VC-MP 0.4 uses / command syntax like every game, and also some ! command syntax as well. Remember as well that in order to get information about other players (like !loc cmd for example) you have to know his/her id, which can be seen with F5 key.
Why don't i just say "type !commands for a list of commands and ready"? Because most of the newbies don't know the commands functions, and this would actually help a little.
Anyway, to keep this short: These are the basic commands which can be probably seen in almost all of the DM servers-

/register -your password-: Used in every server to register your account and therefore save your money, statistics - this also prevents somebody impersonating you by using your nickname, which is something "common" in retards around.
/login -your password-: After registering and changing IP or something like that, you will have to log-in again in order to be able to play with your registered nickname.
!heal or /heal: You can use this command to heal yourself after being damaged anyhow. Probably in some servers you will have to wait from 3 to 5 seconds, to prevent death evade. / Some servers as well will require you to be in a specific place in order to heal yourself up.
!cash or /cash: When you have killed somebody or somehow have got money, you can check how much you have by using this command. Also, if you deposit money in the bank, you can use /bank or !bank to know how much you have there.
/deposit or !deposit: You can deposit some cash, if you have, by using this command. Generally you gotta be in the bank to do it. By using this cmd, your cash will remain intact and if you somehow die, this cash won't be decreased.
/loc or !loc -Player's name or ID-: This command help you to know where is a specific player located in.
/spree or !spree: Exists in almost every server. After killing 5, 10, 15 or any number in scale of 5 in a row; you will be in a killing spree. If you want to check who is in a killing spree, you can use this command. Killing players who are in killing spree, or being in a killing spree yourself can give you extra-money prizes.
/wep or !wep -weapon name-: Some servers give two or three weapons for each skin, some servers don't even give a single weapon. To get them, you must use this command and as complement the name of the weapon you want. For example: !wep m4 stu (stubby shotgun), las (laser sniper), gre (grenade). You can type the weapons' name shortly, or simply their ids. Sometimes you will need to be at ammunation or have an specific amount of cash in order to get weapons. Here you can see a complete list of weapons.
/spawnwep or !spawnwep-Weapon/s name or IDs: If you registered your account in a server that has this command, you can use it to automatically receive your weapons by every spawn, instead of typing repeteadly times the /wep command. Example of usage: /spawnwep m4 stu mp5. This command also works with the same weapon IDs from the link above, from the GTA: Wiki.
/spawnloc or !spawnloc <on/off/set>: This command's syntax varies depending of the server. It allows you to spawn in a determinated place after you die, instead of using !gotoloc. You can use off to deactivate this function, and on/set (depending on the server as i said) to activate it.
!cd or /cd: Used to start a countdown in the server you're. A good and useful thing to start a fight, or a race, or a mini-event.
/gotoloc or !gotoloc: Not in all the servers, but a few of them. You can go to a specific place by using this command, without the need of walking nor drive. However, remember that if you wanna go to a literally specific location, this command may not work. Example: "!gotoloc the_house_located_100km_after_the_beach" won't work in any way. :P. Most known locations are: army, bf, taxi, beach, bank, street, downtown, down, ammu, hospital. These all exist in every server.
/goto or !goto -Player ID or Name-: It's not in every server. It works to teleport to a specific player, but however there are players which probably use the /nogoto command, to disable people teleporting to them.
!hp or /hp: This command is very basic. It is able to show you an opponent's exact HP amount by typing for example !hp -ID-, or your own hp yourself. (leaving it in blank, just typing !hp).
\ (Team chat): Not precisely a command, yet it is very useful. VC-MP has a function to team chat, to do it you just have to type: \your message. (with the bar).
/msg: A VC-MP function as well. Might be deactivated in some servers, but almost all of them have it. This works to send a private message to another player, and works only with IDs. Example: /msg 5 hi.
!eject or /eject: Basic command that may be useful if your car is on fires. It allows you to exit the car.
!fix or /fix: If your car is damaged, most of the servers have implemented this command so you are allowed to fix it. Sometimes, you will have to wait a few seconds, or even you might not be able to use it when your car is on fire.
!stats or /stats: After registering you will have a determinated amount of deaths, kills and your k/d ratio. Trough this command, you are able to see it.

Some unique commands from MK CTF Server:

!score - Its function is showing the amount of flags that you have captured in the round.
!packs - In CTF server, differing from other gamemodes, you have weapon packs. To see a list of them, you can use this command. After that, you will be able to choose one from them, by typing !pack <ID>.
!changepack - If you wish to change the pack during the actual round after you have chosen one, you can do it by this command.
!baselist -from 1 to 8-: Shows a complete list of the bases available in this server.
!bestflagcapturer - It shows a list with the players with more captures, as the command says, for the active round.
!voteend - If you wish to finish the round, you can use this command to vote.
!timeleft - as the command says itself, it shows the time left :P

Some unique commands from Evolution A/D Server:

/score: To see the current score, as the command itself says.
/ignore: If a player annoys you, you're welcome to use this command.
/unignore: Same as the writen below, but the opposite function. It deactivates the ignore rule.
/base: To see where's located the current base being played.
/set: Like in MK CTF server as with packs, in EAD you have sets. You can choose a set from the /setlist by using this command.
/side: To see if you're currently attacking or defending.
/flip: To flip a car.
/fps: See somebody's current FPS.
/ping: Same as the above command, but with ping.
/hide: It allows you to hide your location in the mini-scale radar.
/forum: Shows the forum link.
/discord: Shows the discord link.
/irc: Shows the IRC Channel.
/teamhp: To see the sumatory of all your team mates' hp and the ones of the opposite side as well.
/help: Gives you a little help regarding to gamemode, what's it about.
/wholeft: Shows the remaining players during the current round.
/changepass: After registering you've got the option of changing your password trough this command.
/country: To see somebody's country.
/put: If you haven't decided a set in the given time (which i think is 15secs) and the first blood hasn't been made, you are able to put yourself in setchoice again and later use /go when you're ready.
/votebase: To vote for a base as the command itself says.
/ratebase: To give like/dislike to a base.

4)- Fighting skills

You will notice during your stay that VC-MP skills, synchronization when talking about skills are quite awkward, or better said there are players who have a high ping (including me hhh) and you gotta put a decent amount of effort and apply the technique called Lead Aim to beat them. Also, in order to fight properly and be able to defend yourself, you will get to know Fast Switching, Crouching, Timing and some other techniques which can result useful. In the past, meaning 0.3zr2, a guy called [VU]Fercho made a video about fighting skills and VCMP glitches, however, many of them are now fixed in this new version and the combat has improved significantly. In order to get acquianted with the basic vc-mp abilities you will essentially have to practice and regardless of how convoluted you think these are, you will learn with the time and will see that it's entertaining and good to fight in this game. You actually have to predict where your opponent will go to, and shoot there instead of directly as its body. I'll show you some videos so you can learn a little by watching them: Take in consideration that Radon, who i appreciate his indirect contribution (as he made the video but he didn't know that it was going to be used here hhh) is a low pinger, due to so, the amount of lead aim that he has to put is considerably lower than me, for example.

Continuing, i'll show you a video quite different, made by Pain (who has a ping around 200-250 generally) so you can compare the differences between a low pinger and a high pinger.

(If somebody knows how to explain this better, would be very helpful).
However, the best recommendation that i can give you is watch the videos repeteadly and try to do these techniques, get teached by people that know about it and mainly you have to practice this.

5)- Catching rulebreakers and reporting them (for now DM servers rules)

This is something usual that uses to happen frequently in VC-MP. You need to know the concept of which rules are allowed and which aren't, in most of servers - consequently, i'm gonna list almost all of the possible ways of rulebreaking, excepting to the known "aimlock" and "f1" which are now caught by anti-cheat scripts:

Stats padding: This would be helpful to interprete it better. Stats padding is when you agree with somebody, i.e. your friends in-game or anyone to leave yourself to be killed by the other guy or viceversa. It can be done to get money and later on deposit it, or to increase kills in statistics, or for many other reasons.
Death evading: May be done by minimizing the game window on porpuse, or by using /kill command, reconnecting or using /q, or by a lot more of ways. When you're involved into a battlefield or you're about to die (an opponent makes you fall down), or even you yourself are going to drown; you can use any of these methods to avoid a death increase in your stats; or to simply make your opponent not to kill you and making him/her rage. This, this and this are a few examples.
Using trainers, modified maps or hacking: This is obviously not allowed and there are a few examples of hacks into this game. For example, HP hack (Wherein the last 15 seconds you can figure that HP should decrease when an opponent is hit falls down like that, which didn't happen). On the other hand, there are speed/turbo hacks and fly hacks, into the most common and usually seen hacks.
Ban evade: Common way of rulebreaking. If you're punished for example 1 week, and you change your ip and join the server before the punishment is ended, you can receive a higher punishment due to having ban evaded.
Spamming: When you constantly flood the screen with the same message again and again, it's considered spamming. Although the punishment isn't high for doing this, it is still not allowed.
Racism, or discrimination:Racist and offensive behavior against a player based on their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or region and so forth, aren't allowed in most of servers.
Spawn-killing: Basically as the name itself says killing players upon their spawn point, without even leaving them to be able to defend themselves.
Impersonation: Using any other player's nickname. It's not allowed either.
Attacking servers: doesn't need further explanation, lol.

As you can notice, there are a lot of ways to rulebreak and so it's recommended to have a recorder (recommending Dxtory with x264vfw codec) opened beforehand to report them on the determinated server forum and wait for the designed punishment.

6)- Principal VC-MP sub-communities, forums and servers websites.

Into VC-MP there are many communities where people usually spend their time and not only in the VC-MP official forum. Thereby, i'm gonna list the most known sub-communities here. Some of them allow open discussion about everything, and some others have a little more "estrict" rules we could say.

7)- What's IRC: How to connect to a server, how to use mIRC.

To summarize, really thankfully to [VU]Thijn for this guide who even helped me on my early days :P

Some useful and known channels:

• #littlewhitey.vc-mp
  • #extreme-addicts.echo
  • #VU
  • #skywars
  • #renaissance
  • #MK.CTF
In order to speak trough an echo server, you must type a dot (.) before your message.

8 )- Clans.

Troughout all these years in VC-MP several people have founded something called clans. A clan is a group of people that together are part of a family, wear a common tag, defend themselves into the game, etc. During your stay in VC-MP you can apply to be part of a determinated clan which is in some way an option to make the game more entertaining. I've linked some of the forums of the clans above, but however i'll tell the most known and old ones:

• Vice Underdogs: Founded by Charleyutton and N0W4R a 4th, January 2008. Originally called ArS (Anti Roofers, Anti Spazzers) intended to be a clan with a different method of recruitment of the other clans in the epoch, not only based on the invitation. Today, VU is the second clan with more members of the whole VC-MP (54) and essentially one of the most biggest helpers and contributors to the community itself, saving it from death in many occassions. Counts with administrative circles instead of a fixed leader, is the principal organizer of events and many of its members are great referents in the whole community.
  • Miami Killers: Has the biggest number of members and one of the olders clans in VC-MP, with more than 10 years of existance. Actually counts with 62 members. Leaded by FaF, Ashay and NewK this clan has managed to be one of the most respectable ones and to continue in the top troughout all these years.
  • Eight Avenue Furies: Rather than writing a short history, i encourage you to read this topic. An entire artwork ::).
  • The Renaissance Crew: Established in VC-MP since a 22th, September 2012. Originally founded by Morphine, and with Foxtrot - Metalord - GRAND - Kramer as its first members, they have managed to be one of the most important crews around, and being consecutively the best clan of the year in LW (2016, 2017) they have undoubtely managed to enforce a great reputation.
  • Secret Slayers: Secret Slayers is a Vice-City Multiplayer clan which was founded on March 05th 2015 with the collaboration of Nilz, AEO, Eddy, Rilex, Z22, Astaroth and Skarcy. This clan has the intention of recruiting experienced and skilled players whose sole purpose is fighting along with the current members in order to widely enhance the techniques of teamwork within the clan and therefore be able to finish off any battle being the winner. The other purpose of SS clan is, along with other clans, contribute to carry on turning VC:MP into an interesting and entertaining game for all players
9)- Events in VC-MP.

There have been a lot of events in VC-MP and continue being. Year by year, a lot of people organize very entertaining competition events in either teams or individuals, to gather a lot of fun among VC-MP players. VU Clan is the principal organizer of events, wherein you can put on spotlight:

- Vice City Ladder
- Vice City Clan Tournament
- Vice City Dueling Championship (Season 1 to 5)
- Vice War I, II, III, IV, V: The Havana Hazard, VI, VII: Biker Brawl

Into many others. There are also events organized by EA Server (EYE Tournament) and EC Server (European City Boxing Championship). This kind of events happen usually in VC-MP during the holidays, there's no a specific time between event and event, and some of these events are no longer made (VC Ladder, VCCT for example).

Anyway, this is the end of the line for the guide. As i said, if you find a newbie around i encourage you to link this guide for him; which can be useful. I'll also translate it as soon as possible for spanish speakers, and i would also like to add some parts of the VC-MP history, which i don't really remember at all to be honest (nor do i have been here since its start) and so your contributions to that would be great. Hopefully this will be helpful for some guys around :). If someone wishes to add something please do.
Thanks to Radon (fights video), Pain (fights video), Charleyutton, Thijn (IRC guide), and so many others.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:42:20 am by Vedder »
Funny Funny x 1 Winner Winner x 2 Pwnt Pwnt x 1 Informative Informative x 3 Friendly Friendly x 2 Useful Useful x 17 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

SanaullaH

• Crazy Man
  • You're the boss from you , we learn
    • View Profile
Re: A guide for VC:MP Newbies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 05:02:59 am »
Awesome man
#Salute :D
Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

RoyStang's Art

FuRo[X]o

• Fanatic
  • Miami Killers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 05:04:18 am »
Great job mate!

SMD

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Don't teach Father how to make children!Lol Movies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:32:47 am »
Man why you guys are like that :( now again, it will take me minimum 10-20 days to read this.

Good job
Funny Funny x 6 Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

Credits : KocKex

QarZ

• Crazy Man
  • you won't be able to think about anyone other than
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:02:32 am »
Interesting sounds
Seriously dude you are great person in vcmp

Shadow.Jack^

• Fanatic
  • Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:41 am »
Great work dude.

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
  • we just here for ripmemes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:39 am »
for the fighting skills I suggest joining VCPD  ;D jk jk
Funny Funny x 1 Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

Febulous.

• Vice Underdog Rookie
  • Crazy Man
  • Hi ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:04 am »

RoyStang's Art

Thijn

• Forum Administrator
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:01:24 pm »
Should probably update that IRC guide some day, as it's still using GTANet.
Agree Agree x 1 Informative Informative x 2 (list)

I'm not totally useless,
I can be used as an bad example ;)

"Never do Today, What you can do Tomorrow"

Roystang

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • rerere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:49 pm »
I thought my Application made SMD sleepy the most.. but....

this is something that everyone should check. Amazing work.

VCDC 6 Admin/Designer, VW8 Designer, VW9 Mod/Designer, VCDM Developer, VCCNR Admin, EG-A.D Moderator, RTV/TDW Admin

Saim

• Vice Underdog Rookie
  • Crazy Man
  • Life is Torment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:29:09 pm »
Man you do not have any other work at home?

"All hope is gone"

Credits to me

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 05:33:13 pm »
Man you do not have any other work at home?
Indeed, i do. But somehow i find time to write things like this, and it was not the work of just one day :P

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

RajPut

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • خطائیں عمرِ رفتہ کی، سزائیں عمرِ حاضر کو
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 06:57:13 pm »
Great work seriously..

But I don't think newbies will bother reading this.. :-X
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Pakistan!
Zindabad!

Wanna share your opinion about me? https://viceunderdogs.com/index.php?topic=8850

Sk

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • #VU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 07:01:55 pm »
Great work seriously..

But I don't think newbies will bother reading this.. :-X
How to read tutorial plz
Funny Funny x 9 Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

le pro
http://i.imgur.com/j6yise0.png

Krediit Kokcex

KILLERX.

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 07:26:24 pm »
give me 2 months for reading this
Agree Agree x 1 (list)
Cannot rate own posts