login
April 27, 2024, 09:49:33 am

Author Topic: Retiring  (Read 3936 times)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
Retiring
« on: December 24, 2019, 03:59:05 am »
Well, its been a long ride, but after 10 years going into my 11th, I think its finally my turn. The candle is about burnt out.

Typing this, I still remember the first time I ever found VC:MP.

Joined in XE with like 3 FPS in my army skin in 2008, till I got a PC that could run the game in 2009, starting the true VC:MP journey. Joining Vice Underdogs, playing out the Vice Wars, watching VC:MP evolve from 0.3z to 0.3 r2 to 0.4, participating in clan events, making the forum banner you see today, remodeling the theme of the WAP version to this forum, managing and administrating some servers, directing Vice Wars themselves since VW5, documenting and researching some facts for VC:MP forums, all the way to creating custom models, for truly custom maps and vehicles, all your own and providing all the tools and the help needed to make it possible. I've done a lot, done a whole lot.

Still apart of VU, the one and only clan I've ever been in for all those years, that's not gonna change. I'm admin to only 2 servers now, CTF and EAD, not resigning from either, I'll be passing through, but server events and my influence in them, that is coming to an end I'm afraid. So to everyone, enjoy this edition of Vice War in particular, it's gonna be the last one directed by me. Time for me to truly rest, and I'll be resting when the new decade starts.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:00:18 pm by GangstaRas »
Friendly Friendly x 43 Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:25:51 am »
Am I missing something here? Retiring from what, exactly?
Agree Agree x 7 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Writer of excessively long posts

Hazard

• Crazy Man
  • RELAX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:43:04 am »
We'll miss you Captain!
Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

Drakola

• Vice Underdog Rookie
  • Crazy Man
  • Do good have good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 09:16:30 am »
Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

Credit: [VU]RoyStang

VU Rookie | VC:MP Player Since 2016

ripmemes

• Crazy Man
  • we just here for ripmemes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 09:28:19 am »
good luck

زيدي ميلي ! زيدي دوري

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 11:21:56 am »
Am I missing something here? Retiring from what, exactly?

The last 3 membergroups on my account is an example. Within the community I've been called to do a lot of directing of new server projects, gamemode ideas, make/edit maps, make GUI design, make artwork, even web design ideas etc. I'm retiring from all of that. I only have one thing left for an old friend that I promised I'd help with from months back, that is gonna be one of my last VC:MP works.

For CTF and EAD, especially EAD, more an advisory role now. Helping out old friends but not actively responsible for making stuff. When I pass through VC:MP every once in a while, I'll be enjoying whatever you guys make now.

Saim

• Vice Underdog Rookie
  • Crazy Man
  • Life is Torment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 11:47:58 am »
wait you took this decision because yesterday I just release some comments against your work? I mean I just throw some words against the map of vicewar even krystanoo also put the same point that what I said. you also replied their a line "Members of staff shouldn't be complaining in all fairness(With a fake smile). this happening cause of this issue or which thing make your mind to do this?

I'm really sorry if you took my words too much deeply ofc, I am nothing and how I can make a question on your work. but that was just a suggestion about map. if that was the reason so please I apologize for that. you are good with your work. every year we enjoyed a lot the VC:MP events cause of you guys. I just want to say work on it and keep bright the VU name.   
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

"All hope is gone"

Credits to me

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 12:38:04 pm »
wait you took this decision because yesterday I just release some comments against your work? I mean I just throw some words against the map of vicewar even krystanoo also put the same point that what I said. you also replied their a line "Members of staff shouldn't be complaining in all fairness(With a fake smile). this happening cause of this issue or which thing make your mind to do this?

I'm really sorry if you took my words too much deeply ofc, I am nothing and how I can make a question on your work. but that was just a suggestion about map. if that was the reason so please I apologize for that. you are good with your work. every year we enjoyed a lot the VC:MP events cause of you guys. I just want to say work on it and keep bright the VU name.   

No no no, nothing of the sort, that's playful. I'm just legit tired either way, plus life is catching up to me. Most of my work is done in the summer break for example, I won't have that luxury anymore as I'll be completely absent every summer now for the next 4 or so years, leaving my only break to be the 3 weeks I get in Christmas, cant do much out of that at all.

Vice War 8's development was its own mental stress though, by far the worst stress I've ever gone through organizing an event sake of scripting first, then features second. Not everytime availability lines up, not everytime people see the vision or deem whats important to you important to them, not everytime people do their work properly and you have to go over it, and everytime a bug will present itself where for some you have to chase devs in order to fix...so ensuring the stability and safety of it all takes a huge toll that I'm not willing to go through once more.

My comment though does have frustration at its root. There are a lot of times I test bugs alone cuz nobody else will, and whilst I may have a staff of 30 people, 80% of the time if I don't do something personally, it never gets done, so I end up doing a lot more work than I should, all for the sake of seeing the project through. That takes its toll.

The beta yesterday for example, I had really wanted to finish something simple as tuning the vehicles handling to present how better it is to drive on the map, but no vehicle changes were pushed cuz I couldn't manage. I had already found the settings to tune, and the values needed, just need to be placed in an XML, anyone can write that up but alas it boils down to me. The bases looking empty like no cover, that is not my wish, I simply cannot manage. You give the work to someone else and you have a deadline, nothing happens, so you forced to take it up yourself. You ask for skins and say they're never found or dealt with, so the options of having more than one skin doesnt come cuz its too much for me to go look for that....etc etc...That leads to an unpolished product overall, too dependent on one or a few persons. Thats what development role looks like.

So the community sees a final product, an end result, but dont see the stress it put you through to even get to wherever it ends. Every server in VC:MP that depends on a team goes through this, Vice War aint special. It burns us all out and my time has come.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:40:44 pm by GangstaRas »
Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

GoRcEE

• Crazy Man
  • Paid my dues
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 03:19:06 pm »
You're heart of VU. I didn't know that banner of 'Vice Underdogs' in forum was made by you, I literally used to stare at beauty of it. You've done alot for this community. Hats off mate! Working of this vice war, help in growing VU at its best can't go unforgettable.

Hard to hear you retiring. Good luck with your life man, cheers!

CHE_JoOoOoO^

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Struggling to do my best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 09:17:04 pm »
I wish a good luck in your life. I think most of us Gangs will follow you after a while because of our lives. Nothing remains in its shape in life.
You were one of the best and one of the most kind people in my heart brother. We'll all miss you and the good moments in VCMP. GOOD LUCK  ;)

OmaRosh

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Always Kaizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 09:53:22 pm »
Thank you Ras for all you have done to this community. It's time to take a break and look for some newer real life challenges.
You'll never be forgotten. Good luck brother

"Never fight close to omarosh..."

Chocolate

• Fanatic
  • "The Light, The Way"
    • View Profile
    • Lougle
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 10:33:11 pm »
Thank you Ras for all you have done to this community. It's time to take a break and look for some newer real life challenges.
You'll never be forgotten. Good luck brother
Thanks You Ras, Goodluck for the future.

[VU_T]RoyStang's Art

MemeMachiney's Art

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 03:11:42 am »
Demoted to rookie. Make new server for full
Funny Funny x 9 (list)

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

RajPut

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • خطائیں عمرِ رفتہ کی، سزائیں عمرِ حاضر کو
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 06:02:11 am »
You could remain there and supervise others. Anyways you are a great mentor. Good Luck 😊

Pakistan!
Zindabad!

Wanna share your opinion about me? https://viceunderdogs.com/index.php?topic=8850

Zatch

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Night City
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 07:55:29 am »
A well deserved rest. Good luck and thanks for contribute your knowledge and hard work to this game.