April 19, 2024, 12:32:46 am

Author Topic: XE  (Read 34673 times)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
XE
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:53:57 pm »
So I've been thinking for a little while now whether it would be a good idea to revive XE. On a trip home this week I found a relatively recent version of the script, and apparently it would be easy enough to convert it into 0.4. In truth, it's quite a simple script, but it is one that has been honed and sharpened over about 10+ years to provide interesting, varied, balanced gameplay.

First a little history.

XE was started by Tommis, I believe, in 2006. He wrote the first script using irc. It may have had an MTA incarnation prior to that, but I don't remember exactly. In 2008, as it had become a haven for hackers, Tommis gave head admin status to ULK.HeAD. HeAD recruited a bunch of ULKs and people who didn't like LWs, and started administrating the server properly, putting Prontera and Bishop in the top spots. In 2009, HeAD made SGB the manager, SGB took over the hosting fees, and Aki was appointed a head admin. At the same time, I unofficially started acting as an advisor to HeAD via email, and he started acting as an advisor for SvM. I came back to VC:MP properly in 2010, and found that the XE scripts were essentially broken, there were almost no players, and most of the staff had deserted. There was no one left managing the server, as HeAD, Akiharu, SGB and Sephiroth (who had been brought into management at some point) had disappeared. So ULK.Vinny, myself, Tical and Venkat decided that we should act. I wrote a fresh script, based on the old XE model, in squirrel. The others helped test it, and then helped the relaunch of the server. The relaunch took a little time to gather steam, but after a month or two XE was back on top. Sephiroth and Aki came back, and HeAD started looking at the forum occasionally too. It was at this time, in 2011, that I was officially brought into management. Aki disappeared again, Vinny went psycho, and Venkat focused on his studies, leaving Sephiroth, Tical and I to run the show. It was not easy, as Seph and Tical hated each other, and Seph and I would argue frequently too. After Aki and Bishop came back, shit went very bad, and things imploded a little. There were thousands of behind-the-scenes arguments about racism, ULK bias and general stupidity. Shit went down between VU and ULK, and I quit management, but I left them with my script. Along with me went a lot of VUs and a few ULKs too, leaving the server slightly bare. I decided to leave them with my script, and after that, George was brought in. After that I don't know what happened.

Here's what I propose.

As a community we open and run XE again, with a new admin team, a new forum, and a new host. It will stand for the following values, which HeAD and I agreed on in 2009: equality of judgement (every player is judged on his or her individual merits, not on his or her clan); equal opportunity (everyone is able to apply to become a part of the XE staff, and to contribute to the shaping of the server); free, balanced gameplay (the number one goal in XE was to allow players to do whatever they wanted, as long as it was just as easy for a new player to do the same); openness and consultation (changes to the server will be communicated to the community, and will be open for discussion).

I do not have time to be the day-to-day manager of the server, nor be the scripter, nor be the webmaster. I can however oversee the server staff, including the management and admin team. I understand that people may not like this idea, however in reality I believe this is what it will take for XE to succeed again. I'm also willing to collaborate with George on this, if it is what the community would recommend.

I have a version of the script which was last updated in March 2012. That makes it a fairly recent one. Looking back now, it was not a very efficient or clean script, but it was a solid one. If a dedicated, trusted, active scripter could volunteer to convert it, then this could be easy to get off the ground.

One thing I do know, is that XE can never live again if it is under the current or old management system.

My problems and my questions

I'm a little out of touch. I only know the history of XE up until I left, and after that, I know nothing. It could be that this is a bad idea, and that it would be a better idea to try and support George and whoever else is currently trying to revive the server. I truly believe that is not the case, and that the old framework is broken, but if someone would like to bring to light some facts that might change this point of view, then they should.

So question one: do you know any reason why I and we shouldn't do this?

As I said I don't have time to convert the scripts, or maintain them. So...

Question two: are there any dedicated, active, trusted scripters who would be interested in doing this?

I also do not have time to set up hosting or the forum.

Question three: is anyone interested in this part of XE, of helping rebuild the backbone of the server?

But then, all of this has no point if people don't think there's any need or appetite for XE to come back. Ultimately, whilst XE occupied a unique position in terms of its features and community years ago, now there are servers who have identical and additional features, and communities to go with them to. So...

Question four: do you think this would work? Is there any room in VC:MP for XE today?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:06:47 pm by Charley »
Agree Agree x 1 Winner Winner x 5 Pwnt Pwnt x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Writer of excessively long posts

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: XE
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:09:07 pm »
There is a need of XE because EC cant handle more players at a time, and their monet system sux.
It would be good if we get a decent server to play on without any problem.

The answer to the 1st question is upto you.
Just keep in mind why you rejected to continue the last time.

Talking about scripters, I only see Drake around.
George,aXXo,HeAd, murdock and the others are busy with their stuff.
Drake wont be bad if he dont have any problem working with another server which will compete with his server later.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

WiLsOn

• Crazy Man
  • First in battle last in retreat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:17:59 pm »
Would love to help in administering only if it's run by new and neat staff. speaking of scripter drake is a good choice to be honest, but it's only if he got time for it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:20:15 pm by WiLsOn »

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:38:39 pm »
HeAD was never a scripter, and if Drake is making a similar server then it kind of rules him out I guess.

As for why I quit before, it was due to internal politics, which hypothetically wouldn't exist in a new server.

Drake

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 12:07:51 am »
HeAD was never a scripter, and if Drake is making a similar server then it kind of rules him out I guess.
Well, yes I am developing a script for a server I thought would be great to replace XE or rather be a new hub for DM'ers, because out there no server is better to play on nowadays. I did stop developing it some weeks ago as I am working on A/D's new script.

TBH, it would be a great pleasure for me to work on for XE's new script and I have no problems stopping the development of the script for my own server because all I want to do is to have a great server to play on and not only for me, everyone wants a good, decent DM server which lacks in VC:MP now. It would be the same case if I develop the script for my own server or for XE.

aXXo

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:17:40 am »
So question one: do you know any reason why I and we shouldn't do this?
If we plan to have a new scripts, a new forum, a new management and a new community then why should we start it as XE? We could rather have a fresh start in a new independent server. Something that does not start with "Extreme" or ends with "City"  ::)
Reviving an old thing is not always the best idea. The nostalgia of old things is a bitter competition.

Question two: are there any dedicated, active, trusted scripters who would be interested in doing this?
The decent scripters that I know are pretty much busy with their lives or separate projects. I guess you would need some sort of application process to find out volunteers.

Question three: is anyone interested in this part of XE, of helping rebuild the backbone of the server?
I personally think that 0.4 brings a lot of stuff to the table that will not be feasible to use in an XE styled server. I would prefer to have a RPGDM server with clan territories/gang wars flavor using all the awesome stuff available in 0.4.

Question four: do you think this would work? Is there any room in VC:MP for XE today?
EC(European City) is the new XE, though it has some shortcomings:
- The forum sucks. Maybe I'm just used to VUs forum and Thijn's standards 8) because I can't bear the sight of the EC forum.
- 35 slots. The server is full on peak times, they should definitely have 100 slots.
- Script lag. I have seen some warps during fights, but they are inconsistent, so I'm not sure. Giving the scripter a benefit of doubt, it might have been the host, my own Internet, or the guy I was fighting.
Some people claim that the EC management is poor, their staff is inexperienced and the community is full of brain donors. Though, I disagree. The reports are handled quick, admins are always available and the DM scene just works out, so I have no complains regarding the management, staff or the community.

EA(Extreme-Addicts) has all the ingredients to be a great server. It's just that the initial script created by whomever is broken and no one from the development team(Castagna, aXXo, maxorator, X_94) can be arsed to fix it. Sorry Cast :(

EG(Empire Gaming) and VK's server are the servers that have active and talented scripters. It needs someone to step in the managerial role to advertise the server, create a community backbone and add some kind of personality and flavor in the server. Currently it feels like the scripters have been jizzing off code trying to create a cumshot painting.

If you haven't played on Chinese servers yet, then you have missed a lot in VCMP. Just try them out and maybe you get a managerial position :D. It would be cool to have a Brit bring down the great Chinese wall and bring them closer to the rest of the community. I'm always curious what are they up to.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Sean

• Fanatic
  • [EAF]Sean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:53:36 am »
But they've already decided to bring back XE.
www.xe-servers.com
It'd be better if the older staff continues. As we all know, XE had a reputation of having good staff members. Only ones you think are capable of being an administrator should be invited and not some random newbies/wannabe. I'd say talk to George as he pops out in IRC time to time.
No new staff, hosting or script please. XE was unique. I'd say continue VRocker hosting or maybe let George hosting go on. It won't be amusing to see if full one sided staff list will be made. It'd be better if recruitment is as hard as Vice War staff. I'd say recruit a badass player in the staff as first admin (morphine is a good example), he won't give a fuck to the background of the player who's applying and obviously there won't be any formalities. Trust me, it won't be amusing to see a full memberlist of a clan in the staff list like it was the case before when every TLK was an admin. One last thing, let George stay the head scripter / owner, as you see he's fully committed to XE and no other community.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:08:31 am by Sean »

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 03:04:58 am »
I second a fresh start. While its obviously clear where EC got its inspirations from, to revive XE in such a fashion would just seem competitive rather than developmental for the community. XE, the admins, moderators & scripters all have their reputation so creating a new server with new ideas should draw easy attention.

the community is full of brain donors.
It's one of the standout things for me with EC. The players are children, teens physically but thought processes comparable to 6 year olds, and they have an unexplainable dog eat dog kind of mentality in how they operate. I never understood how such a development occurs but it's very concerning.

Zatch

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Night City
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24:05 am »
Hello Charley.
I'm Zatch and I'm Moderator of XE since 2012.
I'm happy because you got interested in XE in these days so i logged immediatly to post what i have to say.
In 2015 i was thinking in bringing back XE without caring how difficult it could result but when george came back again with great news of re-writting the new scripts to become XE like the old one i support him announcing all the players who are still interested in the server. Anyways, im not a scripter, i never have been interested in becoming scripter so im not good related with that just i'm a DM player who has administrative knowledge but it doesn't mean that i won't try to do my best to revive the server. I'm very interested in this project and with the help from others who are interested too would be succesful.

Some of you are saying that it will be useless all of this but at least we are trying to bring back it again. Creating a new server takes a lot of time and work plus it needs a lot of advertisement by videos or by word of mouth.

Well, thats my point of view. Cheers

Amal

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 03:28:11 pm »
If its the old XE, there will be more player count

honor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »
I have a couple of things to say too

Reading this post really gave me more belief of reviving the server back.I should thank you.

I think,the current staff of XE is full of capable guys.And we are eagerly waiting this to happen.The current forum is perfect.And almost all players in vcmp(old or new) has their accounts there.

So,no need of a new forum.The ones that will be in staff will get their ranks quickly.

XE is currently in the state of what a new server is today.Things have been left behind.Favoritism,racism and dramas,they all are over.Opening a new server is not helpful too.

The problem is,we need a good management team.And those guys must be well known for adding up to the VCMP community.Then welcoming active moderators and admins is easy.

Waiting for the day of collabration,
Regards

Agree Agree x 2 (list)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »
I'll give this another day or two for people to give their opinions before replying again; just putting this here so that people know I am keeping an eye on the thread.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

hotdogcat

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • The Don
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 12:42:15 pm »
in my opinion a server like xe would be good but you should create some unique features
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Credits to Bart.

Luckshya

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 01:21:42 pm »
Well, yes, if the old XE comes back, it will get players. It is not a bad idea though, but you must 1st confirm from the XE owner if he is thinking to bring it back, if not, then, for sure, bring it back.
Good Luck!

Credits to Pumak47

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:47 pm »
Well, yes, if the old XE comes back, it will get players. It is not a bad idea though, but you must 1st confirm from the XE owner if he is thinking to bring it back, if not, then, for sure, bring it back.
Good Luck!
Sir, this is not your room right now.
Go check xe-servers.com and then think of replying.
Funny Funny x 1 Winner Winner x 1 Pwnt Pwnt x 1 (list)