March 19, 2024, 07:40:12 am

Poll

What frame rate & limit you think is best for Vice War?

30 FPS locked; 20 FPS min
7 (26.9%)
Up to 60 FPS; 20 FPS min
5 (19.2%)
30 FPS locked; 30 FPS min
2 (7.7%)
Up to 60 FPS; 30 FPS min
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Improving Future Vice Wars  (Read 15941 times)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
Improving Future Vice Wars
« on: December 30, 2015, 05:57:52 pm »
Congratulations everyone who were involved in the making of this Vice War  O0

• Advertisers, Graphic Designers & Admissions Crew - look at the stats, you did a damn fine job making a banner, advertising the event and registering everyone. Out of everyone that registered (both Red & Blue; 159 players), 71.7% (114) of them returned to play throughout the 24 hour period. Be damn proud of yourselves  :)

• Developers - look at the graph, I know there is no scale of hours but I can attest that the fall-off point of players was somewhere in the 17 hour period. Outside the remaining 5 hours, the server never fell below 25 people playing, peaking at 47 players at a given moment if I remember correctly. We developed a fine game mode indeed to keep such an interest. Be proud of yourselves too  :)

However there were some challenges that arose that I think needs attention for improvement. Best to get some ideas while our mind is still fresh on this Vice War that occured 4 days ago. Those challenges are:
  • Incentives
  • Automated Kicks

Now for the incentives, my belief is that players should have been getting paid for capturing bases or driving their securicar home as well as earn points for their team. Maybe I'm just getting rusty but this Vice War was particularly challenging for me to cope with. Of all the Vice Wars I've ever played, this one felt the most limiting in what I could attain to defeat my enemies. aXXo I believe had to come along and gave everyone playing $1000 prior to the server restart at 12 hours. Even if you had a sense of teamwork, if you're doing the damage and someone else is doing the finishes, you find yourself absolutely struggling to attain what you want cuz at the end of the day everyone is selfish with their earned money.

So I'm thinking to both up the competition and to keep players from giving up, we should move to the widespread system of earning cash & points together. So take the Control Centre for example, instead of just earning just 2 points per 2 minutes you can also earn 2 points per 2 minutes and everyone of the team gets $20 every 2 minutes too. Fuel Station? Doubles everything so now 4 points and $40 per 2 minutes, that kinda idea in the next Vice War.

For the automated kicks, aXXo had to remove the scripts in order to keep the server from becoming unstable. But as a result it caused people to question the dignity of the event as admins had to manually kick persons with high ping and/or low fps. At first, admins, including myself, were kicking players once we experienced them in battle. You aren't fighting your teammates, so you can already imagine how this played out as being biased. To mend the issue, some admins had to stop playing and just dedicate their minutes into kicking everyone that had issues. But the feel of biased kicking still persisted with the frame rate kicks as you had to be fighting/seeing the player to know that something is wrong, and many times when the reports go out for someone having low fps, when we check them, their fps had now risen above 20 fps, as such we can't kick them. Loads of further problems and turmoil not mentioned here has been caused and yeah  :-\ we have to do something about it, it can't persist in the next iteration, it's the root of a lot of issues currently. I'm no big scripter but we have a year to optimize something that can hold up in a high player count

Post any thoughts, suggestions and comments. This will be the template for the next Vice War

Current Official Changes To Be Made:

• Kills - cash only; Bases - cash & points

• Up to 60 FPS; 30 FPS minimum

Possible Additions:

• Pizza boys & Skimmers

• Displaying Points as apart of HUD

• Allowing you to keep premium weapons after you die, timeout or leave (gone only when ammo runs out)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:57:46 pm by GangstaRas »
Agree Agree x 7 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Future Vice Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:42:44 pm »
If you die even by suicide, you must pay the price.
People were helikilling and committing suicide in the heli so that they dont loose gold.
Later even I started to do so but it was too late  O0 O0
Nice vice war
ggwp
Informative Informative x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Milko

• Crazy Man
  • <message removed by RajPut>
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:01:45 pm »
minimum fps 30 thanks
yes
Agree Agree x 12 Disagree Disagree x 1 Funny Funny x 1 (list)

Smok3

• Fanatic
  • The Smokeraptor ϟϟ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:26:39 am »
If you die even by suicide, you must pay the price.
People were helikilling and committing suicide in the heli so that they dont loose gold.

i feel a little bit identified
Funny Funny x 3 (list)

KakaroT

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:16:30 am »
Agreed with Gangstaras. So I will post my suggestions here. That's good idea so that scripter(s) can get enough time to prepare for future vice war(s)

• So the first suggestion I would like to see is /fix and /flip cmds. I posted /fix suggestion but it was too late. And this time I got more appropriate idea. /fix should work in a way that it takes 3 seconds to fix a vehicle and shouldn't work for helis. and /flip should instantly fix and flip a vehicle only when the vehicle is not in proper position or players will start abusing this cmd and this also shouldn't work for helis. And these both cmds shouldn't work for the special vehicle like we had securicar in vw5.

So I'm thinking to both up the competition and to keep players from giving up, we should move to the widespread system of earning cash & points together. So take the Control Centre for example, instead of just earning just 2 points per 2 minutes you can also earn 2 points per 2 minutes and everyone of the team gets $20 every 2 minutes too. Fuel Station? Doubles everything so now 4 points and $40 per 2 minutes, that kinda idea in the next Vice War.
    ^ adding in this. When player has captured the base it should heal the player to 100hp.

• Players leaving server and having a premium weapon should be refunded the money, as it is a bit difficult to earn money and when you  have to go and join later, you are again empty handed and have to earn money with those shotgun kills that is a bit more difficult when there are too many m60s hitting you.

• The /players cmd. It should only show total number of players and number of players of each team.

• The team score should be added on screen with your total kills, deaths, current spree and ping (if possible and under radardisc).
    Example:

SS is from MK CTF server.

minimum fps 30 thanks
yes
With average and some pizza boyz and some taxis and yes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:31:55 am by KakaroT »
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 10:32:05 am »
Agreed with most of your points Kakarot but for the premium weapons that cant come to be. No game does this and should we do it, its like in effect giving weapons away for free. There are 2 approaches though that im thinking towards that.

One is the same widespread money system I outlined earlier so just by your team constantly playing and earning points from bases not kills, money would be accumulating in your account regardless playing or not. Condition would be for new players you have to at least play an hour to benefit, cant just drop in and have free money just like that.

Two would be to severly hamper down on the ammo of the premium weapons but in exchange allow you to keep them until the ammo runs out. So it wouldnt matter if you leave, timeout or die, you have your remaining ammo to use until it its all done. Condition I'd probably put in here would be to enforce that max ammo. So if for example we selling rocket launchers for $2000 and you get 50 ammo, its your business if you would like to refill your ammo before you run out but you would still pay the $2000 for it to be reset to 50. No ammo accumulation
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

DarKFirE

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
minimum fps 30 thanks
yes

+

200 ping limit
yes
Disagree Disagree x 5 Funny Funny x 2 (list)

Quote from: Tical
All I know is you're a polack glitcher. Why are you pretending to be not a polack glitcher? Admin probably saw marcell the polack glitcher fucking around with RPG at close range, he did the right thing and banned you before you could polack glitch. Not actually being a polack glitcher could probably help

Kelvin

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • Miami Killers
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 04:39:00 pm »
minimum fps 30 thanks
yes

+

200 ping limit
yes

Average ping of pakistani players is 250-300. If we dont let them play,we will lose a big amount of players and this is not  what we like.
Agree Agree x 8 Funny Funny x 1 (list)

Howl

• Likes to post
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »
minimum fps 30 thanks
yes

+

200 ping limit
yes

Average ping of pakistani players is 250-300. If we dont let them play,we will lose a big amount of players and this is not  what we like.
Players from Argentina and Chile also won't be able to play if we implement this rule. I'm completely agree with Milko's suggestion, if you still can't get even 30 fps in a 10+ years old game, it's pathetic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:47:56 pm by Private Constantine »
Agree Agree x 3 (list)

Sevrin

• Crazy Man
  • Peace please
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »
I agree with 30 FPS limit.
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Question to Stormeus: Where is TRC forums? We didn't even had a proper farewell because of you. :( :( :(

Sora_Blue

• Crazy Man
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 06:25:01 pm »
minimum fps 30 thanks
yes
This is a must next time, sorry but if you have such a potato that you still can't even handle a 13 year old game then you seriously do not belong in the modern age.
yes
Agree Agree x 1 Funny Funny x 2 Pwnt Pwnt x 2 (list)

All I know is you're a polack glitcher. Why are you pretending to be not a polack glitcher? Admin probably saw marcell the polack glitcher fucking around with RPG at close range, he did the right thing and banned you before you could polack glitch. Not actually being a polack glitcher could probably help

Asadullah

• Crazy Man
  • Thankx To Allah For Everything :)
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Fighting Zome
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »
    i agree with most of suggestions, i also had pointed out some suggestions described in topic :P

• So the first suggestion I would like to see is /fix and /flip cmds. I posted /fix suggestion but it was too late. And this time I got more appropriate idea. /fix should work in a way that it takes 3 seconds to fix a vehicle and shouldn't work for helis. and /flip should instantly fix and flip a vehicle only when the vehicle is not in proper position or players will start abusing this cmd and this also shouldn't work for helis. And these both cmds shouldn't work for the special vehicle like we had securicar in vw5.
implementing /fix and /flip command along its cost would be much better..
or else i have another idea for this.

that is to make securicar bullet proof by changing its immunity and to add a certain time to approach the securicar to the base and if we failed, the car should be auto re-spawned to its original spawnpos and the points should be removed also...
Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

Thankx to RebellioN

Gohan

• Vice War Contributor
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 11:30:03 pm »
Agree Agree x 1 (list)

Quote from: NewK
First of all, amazing work Berkley, we need more people like you in this community, people who are willing to go the extra mile to catch these cunts.

aXXo

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:31:53 pm »
The game mode will obviously change a lot in next Vicewar. There might be no Securicar and it certainly won't be played in Escobar International. Try to skip the specific details of game-mode for now and suggest fundamental stuff that went wrong this time, which can be improved.

Two would be to severly hamper down on the ammo of the premium weapons but in exchange allow you to keep them until the ammo runs out. So it wouldnt matter if you leave, timeout or die, you have your remaining ammo to use until it its all done. Condition I'd probably put in here would be to enforce that max ammo. So if for example we selling rocket launchers for $2000 and you get 50 ammo, its your business if you would like to refill your ammo before you run out but you would still pay the $2000 for it to be reset to 50. No ammo accumulation
This sounds good  :thumbsup:

The problem I find with Vicewars is, that the competition does not last for 24 hours. The outcome of the event is usually laid out in a few hours. This was the first time when the winner was not obvious until 12 hour mark. That was due to the Russians joining late. Had they been all playing since the beginning, the event would have wrapped up in 4 hours.
We need a formula that makes the event competitive as long as possible. Both teams should have a belief that they can still nick the match or make a comeback.

Sora_Blue

• Crazy Man
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:46 pm »
This sounds good  :thumbsup:
I'd only find this acceptable if we were able to pick up ammo from dead bodies. As previously stated, money was a big issue in this VW.