login
March 28, 2024, 11:12:11 pm

Author Topic: Should we change the rules for this board?  (Read 2805 times)

morphine

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Should we change the rules for this board?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »
yes indeed and it is a good thing that players are positively discussing about other players, that what makes this community strong.

the people to be discussed should have the right to choose whether they want to be discussed in the first place

by making a thread for themselves, people effectively open their doors for the rest of the community's comments, opinions, criticism and so on and so forth

by making a thread on someone else's behalf, like you did, you are opening somebody else's doors without them neither asking you to do so or allowing you to do so. you could call it a break in, in a way

some people may not want to be discussed in the first place

that's why I think we should stick to the concept of everybody opening a thread for themselves
Agree Agree x 5 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

PunkNoodle

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »
yes indeed and it is a good thing that players are positively discussing about other players, that what makes this community strong.

the people to be discussed should have the right to choose whether they want to be discussed in the first place

by making a thread for themselves, people effectively open their doors for the rest of the community's comments, opinions, criticism and so on and so forth

by making a thread on someone else's behalf, like you did, you are opening somebody else's doors without them neither asking you to do so or allowing you to do so. you could call it a break in, in a way

some people may not want to be discussed in the first place

that's why I think we should stick to the concept of everybody opening a thread for themselves
I think most people here just don't care, that's why I'd rather leave everything as it is or allow the person in question to request a lock in case a topic is created unwantedly. How many people have you seen complaining so far? I know it is to promote fairness but it is also addressing a problem which never presented. In the context of this forum where "good/bad guy" is the common expressed opinion it's really not a big deal.
Useful Useful x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 01:16:54 pm »
but it is also addressing a problem which never presented.

True, but there are two things to consider.

1. It's good to set up forums in a way that pre-empts problems, acting proactively instead of reactively.

2. I think most people (including myself, who, I think, created the board for Cola) up until now were under the impression that you can't open topics about other people, but now that people see that you can, there might be a slow build-up of shit-posting threads. Just look at the bitter rivalries between players in our applications; there, we have had to exercise our right to shut them down a bunch of times. If the people prone to those petty flamewars become aware that this is a board where they can go all-out without redress, then they probably would use it for that.

As an admin I think edit 2 is the most elegant and fitting solution, allowing people to post topics about other people, but allowing those who are the subject of the topics the right to have them locked or deleted.
Agree Agree x 2 (list)

Writer of excessively long posts

morphine

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 09:22:54 am »
but it is also addressing a problem which never presented.

True, but there are two things to consider.

1. It's good to set up forums in a way that pre-empts problems, acting proactively instead of reactively.

2. I think most people (including myself, who, I think, created the board for Cola) up until now were under the impression that you can't open topics about other people, but now that people see that you can, there might be a slow build-up of shit-posting threads. Just look at the bitter rivalries between players in our applications; there, we have had to exercise our right to shut them down a bunch of times. If the people prone to those petty flamewars become aware that this is a board where they can go all-out without redress, then they probably would use it for that.

As an admin I think edit 2 is the most elegant and fitting solution, allowing people to post topics about other people, but allowing those who are the subject of the topics the right to have them locked or deleted.

you brought this on yourself
Funny Funny x 3 (list)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 01:02:35 am »
Alright as no one has mounted any significant opposition, I'll insert edit 2 into the rules. People can open topics about other people, but the subject of the topic has the right to have the topic locked or removed.

Writer of excessively long posts

CoLa_z0r

• Crazy Man
  • Agape z0r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 10:26:06 pm »
Alright as no one has mounted any significant opposition, I'll insert edit 2 into the rules. People can open topics about other people, but the subject of the topic has the right to have the topic locked or removed.
VERY WISE BRO although if rights is concerned, damage already being done in case the person doesn't know he/she is being discussed on the forum already can never be pre-empted BUT ITS OKAy

>VC:MP Since 2007.
>Founder & Leader of DU (2008~).
>Highest Spree: 90 (@LW) | Highest Score: 1100 Kills (@SvM), 341 Kills (@LW).