March 28, 2024, 11:41:55 pm

Author Topic: Trump  (Read 11293 times)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Trump
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:07:38 pm »
Er ma gerd. Today's his inauguration. What does everyone think of this guy?

I could write literally thousands of words about my views on Trump, but instead I'd rather just mention one set that I have been thinking about today: British/European perceptions of the US.

There was a lot of disappointment in the UK when George W Bush was elected president. There was a general perception that this guy was dumb, arrogant and dangerous. He was seen as a privileged clown, and much of his presidency served to reinforce that view. This view extended to the American people in general. During my teenage years it was normal for everyone to consider Americans stupid, arrogant and simple. The president was seen as a reflection of the country and its people.

When Obama was elected that opinion started to change. He had huge approval ratings in the UK and Western Europe, everyone saw him as a sign that times were changing. Especially when compared against our leaders who were seen as ineffectual, lifeless, and belonging to a perrenially boring elitist political class, Obama was seen as a shining light of much needed humour, intelligence and resistance. He was seen to embody that which he so loudly proclaimed to provide: hope. Even his critics this side of the pond tended to situate their negative views not in relation to him as a person, but to the idea of the system as insurmountable, that his message was all marketing and affirmedly quixotic. He soon won most of us over, however, as he showed that even in the face of repeated Republican senate roadblocks he could genuinely deliver change. Once again, this view extended to America as a whole. Americans came to be seen as more progressive, astute, and intellectually discerning than before.

We all know how Trump is viewed in Western Europe. I read somewhere recently that in France and Germany he has close to a 90% disapproval rating. The interesting thing is, at least from what I've seen, people aren't seeing him as representative of America. I've heard no one suggest that America and its people are as stupid, racist, bigoted or regressive as Trump. Rather, the perception of the US that Trump has inspired in many of us is that it is a fundamentally divided country. It might be a result of my age that I was perhaps blind to the nuance in British perceptions of the US during the Bush and Obama administrations, but I truly think this is more or less the case. To many British people there is no longer an 'American people'. Just as we struggle with our own national identity following years of debate around multiculturalism and our international outlook, compounded by the Brexit vote last year, we see America increasingly as a precarious union, one in which there are enduring race, class, and political divisions.

Anyway that's enough from me. What do you guys/girls think of him? And what are the general feelings in your countries?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:09:52 pm by Charley »
Late Late x 2 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Writer of excessively long posts

Roystang

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • rerere
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:56:49 pm »
You just wrote an essay On "Trump" Btw I heard the Elections are Hacked by a person I just forgot the person's name. And we think this and I am against him BTw
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

VCDC 6 Admin/Designer, VW8 Designer, VW9 Mod/Designer, VCDM Developer, VCCNR Admin, EG-A.D Moderator, RTV/TDW Admin

GangstaRas

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Representing VU for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:07:52 pm »
I don't like Trump's personality, it's just two faced to me.

I have an inexperienced belief that the changes he plans to make based on the theme of "America first" are greedy and unnecessary but Stormeus or any American here would have to prove me wrong on that. Idk America's struggles like that but I just don't see America as a struggling country to warrant such a change, not saying he should ignore his own country for the benefit of others, but I just see this as the scaffholding necessary to create a bitter nation towards the world.

United they stand, together they fall.......not in economy, just in morality. Slowly but surely, selfishness breeds. That's what I think of Trump

WiLsOn

• Crazy Man
  • First in battle last in retreat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »
Not really into politics but still what i feel about him?

Agree Agree x 1 Funny Funny x 1 Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

MaiYan

• Likes to post
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:59:42 am »
i know only one thing Trump is not a liar like George Bush killed thousands lying to his own people about the chemical weapons in Iraq look at the wounded and soldiers of America George Bush should be punished

Join Us on :https://www.htmkr.com/topic/97-50-posting-contest-reply-to-enter/

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 10:25:21 am »
Americans are seen as dumb and selfish here as well. And though Obama is a cool guy, that opinion didn't change during his 2 mandates either.

And let's be honest, US education is a well known problem, ranging from their very school system to the actual ground they cover in class. Trump played his cards right, he knew there's a bunch of bigots and naturally dumb people in the country, and he gave them what they want. Hence, he is president.

It's a bit discouraging though that the modern world's pillar of democracy that is the United States, elected a racist, misogynistic whelp that isn't even much of a businessman, since his starting capital finances were estimated at 1 million dollars. Tell me, who the fuck can get a million dollars and not end up rich?

Anyways, what disturbs me most are his racial views. Recently saw video footage of him ordering his followers to throw out and beat up a black couple, including a child. What kind of president encourages domestic violence and unrest in his own country? Not a good one, for sure.
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 11:09:06 am »
Indeed ferrari, I share all of your concerns.

I don't think that all Trump voters were bigots or racists though. Truth is there are huge swathes of the US population who have been left behind economically, failed by their state and its fundamentally neoliberal policies. Clinton promised more of the same, Trump promised change, change won. Unfortunately I don't think people understand quite how devastating that change might be.

Writer of excessively long posts

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 11:48:45 am »
Makes no sense altogether. We're poor so let's go elect a guy who wants to remove taxes for the wealthy and increase for the mid society layer

-Proud member of VU since August 18 2011, SvM server Admin, Vice Legends server Admin, Playing VCMP for way too long to remember

vito

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »
I don't care about him and I have no idea why people outside usa cares about him. Maybe they have no their own sovereignty politics. Politics for the people is a crap anyway.
Disagree Disagree x 1 Pwnt Pwnt x 1 Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)

TheKing

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • THE KKO OUTTA NOWHERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 01:23:41 am »
I don't care about him and I have no idea why people outside usa cares about him. Maybe they have no their own sovereignty politics. Politics for the people is a crap anyway.

We care, cause most of our third world countries depend on such a high level on the US economy. Every little detail that goes on within the United States of America someway or another finds to bring us down. 2016 was expected to close with a flow of remittances exceeding the four billion dollars mark. This makes it a huge part(for Honduras) of our GDP. Just 2 years back 13.5% of our population was living ONLY of those remittances, thats pretty huge number of people that can easily be with no food for a very long time. And this is only economicly speaking.

I think Trump and the republicans played their cards right, Hilary and the democrats did not do so as they were expected. People like that Trump spoke his mind, they liked that he was not a politician, they saw an oportunity of growth. He might not be brilliant but trust me he has plenty of money to get his way around and get plenty of political advise. He took advantage of the nations selfishness, the majority of the people voted by color, because those beliefs where passed down between families for ages. I don't blame Obama for seeing Hope in the American society. Truth is, they're not so pacifist, caring and selfless. He just flipped the switch. People that actually reside in the United States would have a better perception. That is just what we see from the outside, being more humanistic and liberal. Its going to be interesting what's going to happen to Social Security after Obamacare goes obsolete.

Agree Agree x 1 Informative Informative x 1 (list)

ITS THE BIG DOG!

vito

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:34 am »
We care, cause most of our third world countries depend on such a high level on the US economy. Every little detail that goes on within the United States of America someway or another finds to bring us down.
Honduras
It means your country have no sovereignty. No independent economy. Any normal person being under this economic occupation will rate USA as their enemy. And asslicking USA's leaders (obama/trump or anybody else) it is just disrespecting your own nation. You need to care how to make your country independent first. Not about benefits from usa.
Disagree Disagree x 2 Funny Funny x 1 (list)

Azal

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 06:25:28 am »
i know only one thing Trump is not a liar like George Bush killed thousands lying to his own people about the chemical weapons in Iraq look at the wounded and soldiers of America George Bush should be punished

i agree with all this 100000%

you forgot to mention one last thing

Trump secretly funds NYB

Oh shit, gotta run :P

Signal

• Regular
  • al mallu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:23:41 am »
We care, cause most of our third world countries depend on such a high level on the US economy. Every little detail that goes on within the United States of America someway or another finds to bring us down.
Honduras
It means your country have no sovereignty. No independent economy. Any normal person being under this economic occupation will rate USA as their enemy. And asslicking USA's leaders (obama/trump or anybody else) it is just disrespecting your own nation. You need to care how to make your country independent first. Not about benefits from usa.

No matter what, I agree with this statement ^

ferrari32

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 10:25:05 am »
Honduras

Hello, Earth calling. From this statement it's very easy to conclude that you haven't the slightest clue about politics or economy. Bluntly speaking, a smaller country imperatively needs to lick the balls of a bigger country in order to make a positive economical push and progress. It's been that way since the middle ages, you know, when your bullshit state was swimming in Lithuania's ass begging for loans

vito

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 12:33:16 pm »
Bluntly speaking, a smaller country imperatively needs to lick the balls of a bigger country in order to make a positive economical push and progress.
It depends on self-respecting. If you are gay you always will find a reason to lick someone's balls. If you respect your country you won't accept domination of other country on your country.

your bullshit state was swimming in Lithuania's ass begging for loans
Nice level of conversation. Lithuania also was a part of russian empire and soviet union, but no idea why you bring that country.