login
March 28, 2024, 10:42:30 am

Author Topic: LaS3r’s English writing guide v1.0  (Read 17025 times)

Pleyo

• Vice Underdogs (Inactive)
  • Crazy Man
  • Best Sona main ever
    • View Profile
Re: LaS3r’s English writing guide v1.0
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 03:34:28 pm »
I learn that in school on English classes.  :D
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 1 (list)
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Deso

• Vice Underdogs (Inactive)
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 06:26:14 pm »
I learn that in school on English classes.  :D

Naic. Maybe if you do good and learn the details, you can finish this guide since I forgot everything >_>
Agree Disagree Funny Winner Pwnt Informative Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Brain Donor

Megatrix

• :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 07:20:46 am »
Nice
Brain Donor Brain Donor x 3 (list)

Roystang

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • rerere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 12:31:11 pm »
Looking good. Will there be a topic about punctuation?

VCDC 6 Admin/Designer, VW8 Designer, VW9 Mod/Designer, VCDM Developer, VCCNR Admin, EG-A.D Moderator, RTV/TDW Admin

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:56:54 am »
maybe you should not try to bump 4 year old topics, unless you really want to get a ban.
Agree Agree x 1 Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

Charley

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 07:07:51 pm »
It's a stickied topic, so there's no problem bumping :)
Pwnt Pwnt x 2 (list)

Writer of excessively long posts

OmaRosh

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Always Kaizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 06:26:24 pm »
It's a stickied topic, so there's no problem bumping :)

^^

"Never fight close to omarosh..."

Dr.Shawn

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 06:54:03 pm »
Scrrwsuxb thijz
I wonunt ned englosh lezons

KingCaco

• Likes to post
  • King Caco
    • View Profile
    • Kingcaco
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2018, 05:09:36 am »

to improve my english here :)
Agree Agree x 1 Winner Winner x 1 (list)

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2021, 01:37:08 am »
Update: Since this topic is sticked and that means no bump is made, I felt correct to post some thoughts about this guide in general. In fact, my intention is to give a completely different perspective about language learning and acquisition.

The first thing that I want to say something very important and experienced by every polyglot that you can listen on youtube, spotify or wherever: today, there is no actual barrier between you and a new language in terms of accesibility. You can find material everywhere.

How can I, then, learn a language effectively?

It is all about input.

There's been an important amount of investigations about the way that we generally take when we are babies to learn a language. Research has been done over and over about this and have simply concluded at the same point - the fact that we acquire a new language through subconscious processes in our own minds. We don't memorize; we simply get to understand the principal message, then our brain makes connections between words and the ways of reaching to that message and unconsciously we go through little steps taking vocabulary. In most of the cases, you are not even aware of it.

We need to cut off the thought of that we learn a language by reading thousands of times grammatical rules, memorizing vocabulary out of context that we don't apply, that we need an academy, a course or a professor in order to learn. The real and unique way for which humans learn a language is through input and your method has to meet these requirements:

• You have to understand the message, even if you don't completely understand the fully structure of the sentence
  • You have to be gradually acquiring new words by having more and more input, not conforming yourself with the ones that you already know
  • You should do it preferably daily. If you play an instrument then you know what I'm talking about. Practice makes master. More input, more habit: more language acquisition at shorter time.
  • You must listen and read with subtitles in the language that you want to learn. There's this kind of people that watch series on English but puts subtitles in Spanish, or viceversa. There's a scientific research that shows that this does not work at all.
Then, if it's so easy, why people can't speak more than a single language? Why can't even you who are talking to us speak more than English and Spanish?

Because it is not easy. You see, the most problematic part about learning a language is that people want to see results instantly. LEARN ENGLISH IN THREE MONTHS WITH THIS COURSE! LEARN GERMAN IN TWO WEEKS! LEARN JAPANESE IN 3 MONTHS!

Yes. Sure. But try to actually speak. Try to read a debate between two different political sides. Try, I don't know, read a newspaper. Oh what's up? Yeah, you cannot. You trusted in results which are impossible and unable to get and you feel dissappointed. I've been there.

Learning a language takes also these following things:

• Dedication
  • Time
  • Motivation
  • Dedication
  • Self-confidence
  • Knowing the right method
  • Accepting that you will not be perfect, accepting that it will not be easy to speak the first months

The last thing that I want to say before I let you with the MASTERS who can speak about this thing much better than I,  is, that together with this goal of 'quick time' language acquisition, people also fail into another mistake: be afraid.

Don't be afraid of practising. Don't be afraid to try in your mind, or by speaking, the new words you know. Don't be afraid of writing. Don't be afraid of trying to give your opinion at a Quora forum. The only goal is that people can understand you well. You don't need anything else. Do not seek perfection, seek the benefits of breaking these barrers and, fundamentally, the fun. You must, above anything, have fun.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:58:34 am by Vedder »
Winner Winner x 1 (list)

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.

Vedder

• Vice Underdog
  • Crazy Man
  • Romancero gitano
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2021, 01:44:55 am »
I have just found an astonishing, useful tool for language acquisition.

It is called Toucan and it's a Chrome extension, useful for learning new words and sentences, with pronunciation included.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/toucan-language-learning/lokjgaehpcnlmkebpmjiofccpklbmoci

I am trying it now to continue developing my German skills, it may be handy to learn Hindi / English or even Arabic; most spoken languages in this community.

Useful Useful x 1 (list)

VC:MP player since 2011. A part of VU. Bearer of a restless desire to understand the world. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mariano Moreno, Gazeta de Buenos Ayres. 12 de junio de 1810.